• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you shoot this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shoot a London made William Moore 1865 in 11 bore. 90 grains of black and 1 3/8 oz. #5 shot it takes down pheasants like a sledge hammer. This is the only shotgun I use for hunting now as it is light and balances so well. My friends don't like it when I out shoot them in the field. They all use modern guns. I haven't been able to convert them to the dark side yet. Have a gunsmith check it out first and if he says it is ok, shoot it often. You will love it.

Left barrel .787 Right is .785 . Barrels are 30 inches to the hooked breech and 29 3/8 to the plugs.

Make sure there are no dents in the barrels. We had an old 10 gauge that was ok, except for this dent. Tied it to a tire and test fired it. No more dent. In fact, we never did find where the dent landed. We still shot the other (right) barrel for a while until I sawed them both off behind the hole that had been in the left one. After that, it kicked too hard to use for anything other than amusement.

No dents or creases. The right hammer is loose on the hammer shaft for want of a better word and both nipples appear to have been peen over due to someone dry firing it. I am going to see a local fellow who was recommended to me and get input from him. Thanks

Journeyman said:
No dents or creases. The right hammer is loose on the hammer shaft for want of a better word and both nipples appear to have been peen over due to someone dry firing it. I am going to see a local fellow who was recommended to me and get input from him. Thanks

The breechplugs need to be pulled and the bores inspected at the breech. The breeches and breeching threads need to be inspected then it needs to be proved with a load at LEAST 30% over what the service load will be. THEN people need to understand that its still not safe enough for me to tell someone its OK to shoot. Far too many variables to tell anyone that any old gun is safe to shoot.
Shooting one one handed may save ones hand but it will not protect the head the place the pieces ejected from the breech tend to land. So it has to be proved remotely. A friend carried powder fouling imbedded in his face to the grave when a nipple blew out of a then new Bill Large Hawken breech.
Even late 19th c guns are "shot at your own risk" due to questionable metallurgy.

Dan

You know, everytime you shoot one of these, you're in essence, holding a pipe bomb up to your face. I own an old W Moore circa 1855. It looked good however just to be safe I had a ring test done, and had it borescoped and checked for cracks and micro fractures by a professional gun smith. She checked out just fine. If you have any doubts, have it checked out before you attempt to proof it. If it doesn't check out you have a nice wall hanger, if it does check out it'll give you some piece of mind. Keep in mind though what I initially said.

When I was in the Army, if something went wrong with the tank main gun, like going out of battery, once the system was checked out, borescoped, and corrected, it fell to the unit master gunner to ensure all the checks and precautions had been done. It was, after all, his responsibility to crawl inside and fire the first round off the hand crank or what they called the master blaster; hence their nickname. Having had done this more times than I can count on both 105mm and 120mm, the same thing always sticks in the back of your mind; this is one helluva pipe bomb I'm sitting next to. It's a chance you take every time you pull the trigger.

Journeyman said:
Oops! Massive Brain Fart. Should read Left is .687 Right is .685 . Sorry

That would be 14 gauge. so you should find a 14, 15, or 16 on the underside of the barrels near the breach. There should also be proof marks there, which say something about where it was made.

I will take it apart tomorrow and check the breech area. I made an appointment to take it to Mike Eder. He is going to scope the barrels , shim the hammer , install new nipples and measure it for wads if it looks good. I have decided if all goes well I am going to proof it and shoot it.

I pulled it apart and on the bottom of the breeches both barrels are clearly marked 15. The underside of the barrels are in fantastic shape and the Damascus barrels are evident.

Are you sure the barrels bores measured .687 and .685?

I'm pretty sure the "15" represents 15mm which is .591 inches.

'Course smoothbores aren't my 'thing' and I've been wrong before. :rotf:

That means that the bores were originally 15 gauge and have been honed out. Not necessarily bad, but makes one more cautious about checking wall thickness.

I may be wrong but I found a gauge conversion that says a 14 ga is 17.60mm or .693 and a 15 ga is 17.21mm .677 . It still does not explain the breech markings vs the bore diameter. Now I am really confused. Does anyone know of an authoritative source for info. Thanks

If the gun has mid 19th century British proof marks, the bore designation stamped on the barrel is in gauge, not millimeters. If they are stamped "15" the bores are original and have not been altered, if your measurements are correct.

Like I said, "'Course smoothbores aren't my 'thing' and I've been wrong before."

Put another way,

"I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies Miss Scarlett."

:rotf:

I still like the ideas and conversation . If one is afraid to post for fear of being wrong then we all lose. Your post made me look closer and research it and I am still not done. When I looked at when the Brits converted to metric and the circa of the Edward Middleton sxs it was plausible. Thanks Again

Back