• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Would you shoot this?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatcon

36 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG

Edward Middleton circa 1870ish, bores good with very light pitting.i have A little more work to do on the nipples , hammer, various cosmetic items. What do you think about shooting this?

I would even shoot it for you! I shoot everything. My old boss sold me a John Wayne Commemorative .22 lr 94 lever for cheap with understanding he was first dibs on any resale. He was MOST unhappy when I resold after he found out I sold it cuz it didn't group well! hehehe why own it if it don't shoot? :blah:

You bet! I've got one in similar condition, it's a good shooting shotgun. I use moderate loads, in deference to its age, but it has brought down its share of pheasants.

What gauge is it?

Rod

I got it for $50.00 about a month ago. All I have left do do is have the nipples replaced and the right hammer needs to be shimmed or otherwise reworked as the hammer is rather loose . The bores only had light pitting near the muzzles, further down it is bright and shiny. Has anyone on this forum ever tried to shoot one this old? Any thoughts?

Actually I have not measured the bores with my calipers yet. I assumed it was a 12ga but honestly in my excitement I never checked. Tomorrow I will check it at the shop and post it. Any load suggestions?

A buddy and I shoot antique rifles some. We put them in a gun vise, stoke 'em stout, and touch them off with a 30 foot cord while hiding behind the truck. After two or three of these "proof loads" we feel it is probably OK to shoot moderate loads in the gun. We haven't blown one up yet, but we keep trying!!

Never tried shooting one that old yet but I do shoot a British Webley MK II from 1895, so only about 20 years newer. If I had one that old I would give it a try but only with real blackpowder. Definitely no 777.

muzzleloader.jpg

I'd shoot the first few shots ONE-HANDED, as I'm doing here with the second shot through my new/old
Belgian single-barrel 12 gauge shotgun. Photo is a frame-grab from a cheap video camera.

I bought it a couple of years ago for $125 from a local antique store. It was in their front window, and was LOADED! The nipple was badly battered from decades of dry-firing.

I used to shoot an 1812 12 guage fowler. If you don't abuse an original gun by trying to shoot magnum loads then shooting actually keeps the gun in better condition.

If you weren't considering shooting this shotgun you wouldn't be thinking about shimming a hammer, cleaning and oiling the barrel or oiling the wood. The shotgun will be kept in better condition if you shoot it and care for it.

Many Klatch

My shooting buddies and I all shoot originals of some sort similar to your gun monthly in a 10 bird clay pigeon round the clock match. 5 stations, 5 shots across and 5 shots back. I use 70 grains of 1F or 2f and the same volume of shot (square load).

I wouldn't dare load something like 90 grains of 2f and 1-1/2 oz. of shot like I would a New Englander or Pedersoli. I do believe these old guns are more ductile than brittle, but shooting a slightly heavier than normal load from a lanyard with the gun mounted in an old tire casing should put your mind at ease.

Bob

This one is very close to one I was trying to buy in pieces on eBay. The guy said my $250 offer was "silly".

I have one, and it brought down a turkey last spring. I find it interesting that the front trigger operates the left barrel instead of the right as on most sxs.

I have three originals that I shoot. Personally, I want to know about barrel wall thickness. The shiny bores may not be such a good thing, as they would likely come from heavy honing or reboring (the rest of the gun isn't shiny). On the barrel flats there should be a bore stamp (12, 14). You want to measure the bore at the muzzle, and deeper if you can, then compare it to the nominal measurement for the proofed gauge. If they match, or come vary close it probably hasn't been rebored. Ideally, I would want a gunsmith with real knowledge of laminated barrels to run a wall thickness gauge on it.

As to loads, we in the USA have gone to heavier and heavier loads shotguns. This is especially true of Turkey hunters, and for good reason. But, Brits and Europeans (and their guns) were usually intended for lighter loads. 7/8 ounce would be typical of target loads for a 12 gauge, Olympic loads are 24 grams. One ounce or 1 1/16 ounce would be game loads, including pheasant (which is about what I use hunting pheasant, 7/8 for grouse and woodcock). I use 3/4 ounce loads of 8 1/2 shot on targets, usually 68 grains of FFg, but Fg will lower your pressure and likely tighten your patterns. Such loads are probably what the maker of your gun had in mind for it.

Good questions. Right now I can't answer them as I don't have it in the shop. It is out on consignment to sell. It does have gold inlay on the strap between the barrels. :idunno:

What loads would you try ? I did not get a chance to mic the bore today. Got to busy so I will post it tomorrow. The bores were not honed . I am going to shoot it as soon as I can get the nipples replaced. I think it will make a great quail and dove gun. Thanks

I have a Belgian made 14 double that dates to before 1859 It shoots great with 60gn 2f and an 80 grain measure of shot, I replaced the nipples and the left lock main spring all else is original.

for dove and quail I use 7 1/2 shot

Galen

Back