• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working on a older Investarms flinter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently acquired a older Investarms Hawken style Flintlock that needed a bit of TLC. One of the stamps on the barrel is a AD which according to some listings would indicate a 1978 date of production. Bore is quite clean and bright. It appears someone has messed with this in the past. The breech plug while very close to lining up is off just enough that I can notice the lines between it and barrel are off a hair. Wonder if it came that way or someone has removed the breech plug in its past. Vent liner was homemade from a cutoff and drilled screw. So happens I had a extra vent liner for my Lyman GPR so was able to replace. Had to work at getting the old out and new one installed. Thinking possibly the homemade one was a 6x1 thread and should have been a 6x.75. Had to order a 6x.75 tap to refresh the threads which done the trick.

Two questions. Is it worth it to try and tweek the breech plug so the barrel lines are correct? I was under the impression that these rifles had a patent breech like the TC rifles. This one does not. Is this correct you think? Thanks!

If, like the TC, the patent part of the breech is in the breech plug which includes the pan and or nipple snail. SO trying to tweek it should be ok. If the lines are just short of tightening you may be able to crank them even. If the lines are over torqued you may consider leaving it because loosening the plug would not be a great solution. You could potentially end up with some leakage.

If, like the TC, the patent part of the breech is in the breech plug which includes the pan and or nipple snail. SO trying to tweek it should be ok. If the lines are just short of tightening you may be able to crank them even. If the lines are over torqued you may consider leaving it because loosening the plug would not be a great solution. You could potentially end up with some leakage.

Lines are just a hair short of matching. The breech does include the vent hole and powder cavity (for want of a better word). I do have vice blocks for octagon barrels

What would I be looking for inside the barrel where the barrel and breech meet?

A gap.
The breech plug lines are off so you can see they don't light up...right?.....so see if there is a gap between the edge of the breech and the barrel. IF there was/is one, over time BP fouling might have caused corrosion there and enlarged the gap. From what you describe, I'd say there isn't one, but you should look, I think.

LD

Back