• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Workin Up a Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cabela's should carry real black powder....you might have to ask a manager or an "old timer" who knows where things are in the warehouse behind the front counter! Tell him it's in a safe or a powder magazine and to go find someone who knows where the safe is.

mykeal is right about the packing grease....some of us call it Italian Cosmoline :haha: . Regular Hoppe's #9 Nitro-solvent Bore Cleaner/Lead Remover does a good job! Do not use black powder bore cleaners designed to remove black powder fouling! Use "regular" smokeless bore cleaners! He's also right about the first box of balls required for the rifle to "settle-in"! During this period, be careful to note torn patches which may be caused by rough spots in the bore or at the crown. Torn patches can't impart the correct amount of spin on the ball, so accuracy suffers greatly.

Good luck with finishing the build!

Dave

Shipping costs will probably be a killer.
Not necessarily.

IF YOU BUY IN BULK, usually about 10 lbs, you can get a per pound price from mail order (INCLUDING hazmat and shipping costs) that competes with the per pound price at the box stores.

10 lbs is about right. Find some buddies to pitch in and order as much as you can to eat up the 25.00 hazmat fee. I think 50 lbs is the limit though. Any one remember......a mind is a terrible thing to waste :youcrazy:

Watch out for that. Whoever the shipment goes to when a bunch of guys get together becomes a distributor by default - and without a license will earn that person a heavy fine and possibly prison time if caught.

We live in unfortunate times.

We had a topic about selling black powder and as I recall it boiled down to how it was done.

If someone places an order for, say, 20 pounds of powder and then calls his buddies saying something like, "I've got some powder I'll let you have for $..." he is selling the powder and he needs a Federal license or he risks a long vacation in a Federal home for the evil.

If the same someone gets to talking to his buddies and suggests that they each pay for some powder and they put their dollars into a pot up front , the guy can order the powder.
When the powder arrives he can call his buddies and tell them, "Your powder is here. Come and get it.".
Done this way, the buyer is NOT a dealer, he is an agent and he does not need a license to do this.

Back