• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wool Dye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlander73

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently made a pair of leggings out of wool...When dyed to a nice brown I rinsed per directions and it all washed out.
Is there a special way to dye wool or is there a special dye for it?
Highlander

Probably need to use a mordant after you dye it to make the dye stick. Try soaking it in salt water or alum. Mordants vary with the type of dye you're using and there are several types. I'd suggest Googling it to see what you can find.

Sean

Depends on whether you use natural or acid dyes. I will assume, since you went to all the work, that you used natural dye of some sort. Natural dyes usually need be mordanted; alum is the safest and most common. Dissolve some alum in warm water, and presoak your wool article, then place it in the dye bath. There should be enough dyebath to cover the article. Bring it to about 180 degrees and hold it there for a half hour to an hour and it should give you a good color (depending on how much dye material you have). Turn off the heat and let the whole thing cool a bit. When it's cool, rinse the wool, gently, in water about the same temperature.

If you used acid dye, presoaking in vinegar works about the same way.

Soaring Spirit
Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

I aint sure what RIT is but I used salt and everything...should I let the article dry before rinsing?
Highlander

RIT is a commercial dye that you can buy in any five and dime - usually in the fabric dept.

No, you don't (and probably shouldn't) let the wool dry before rinsing. Just be sure the temperature of the rinse water is about the temperature of the wool. Wool hates to be shocked (cold to hot, or hot to cold) and it doesn't like to be jostled a whole lot - hence "gently rinse and squeeze dry." It's the main reason you don't aggitate(washing machine)or tumble(dryer) your wool - it shrinks under those conditions. After gently squeezing the water from your wool, you may lay the item on a bath towel, roll it up in the towel, and get a whole bunch more water out before setting out to dry - after the rinse.

Soaring Spirit
Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

RIT dye doesnt usually do to well dying wool... there are dyes made especially for wool.. here is a sight that tells you how to dye wool using natural things I use coffee and tea alot to dye things.[url] http://www.pioneerthinking.com/naturaldyes.html[/url]
beleive it or not koolaid powder is a great dye for wool, but if your wanting brown probably will not work... you can go to a site that sells wool, or a spinning site, and probably find some dye that is made especially for wool...
as one poster stated you do not want to shock your wool or agitate it... but once your done dying it and rinse it you can put it on spin in your washer and spin it out with no problem...then lay it out on a fluffy towel to dry

Last edited by a moderator:
im wondering if any of you have ever actually dyed wool in rit dye , i have done numerous blanket items with excellent results and if you rinse before you let it dry most of the color will wash i let it dry then soak it in clean cold water then squeeze out the excess what dye that did not take will wash out but the dryed color will stay fast after rinse lay it out to dry again and it is done.

Back