• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wool blankets??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What brand and how many poits blanket do you recomend?I am thinking about a hudson bay.I just priced a wilde blanket today and they are out of my price range.What about any kind of military surplus wool blankets??
Thanks,
J.J.

What are you wanting to do with the blanket? Do you want it for your camp bed? or a Capote... I have bought a few nice ones off Ebay for not to bad of prices.. now they are not hudson bays or anything but they are nice and warm on a cold night

I have purchased a couple of Hudson's Bay blankets on ebay for $25.
Whitney blankets, which in years past actually made 'Hudson's Bay' blankets often sell for less. Also, depending what you are doing with it. Most blankets for wearing for women can be 3 to 3.5 points, and they sell for less. I have also seen some decent capotes made out of army blankets, though not PC.

I would recommend a 4 point (minimum) blanket, that translates into a double size, thereabouts...

4 points - double size 72" x 90"

6 points - queen size 90" x 100"

8 points - king 108" x 100"

I would rather have too much blanket than not enough... :D

An Italian army blanket is real wool, grey with a light stripe. At least in the USA it is odd enough that people don't recognize it as an army blanket. Cost is $20 to $30 and it is fairly large. :m2c:

We spent the weekend at a local rondy that got below freezing at night and those italian blankets were a welcome addition.They are a generous size and nice heavy wool.We also have a couple of old Whitneys and they are good but not as heavy,the wife made a nice poncho out of one of them.

What brand and how many poits blanket do you recomend?I am thinking about a hudson bay.I just priced a wilde blanket today and they are out of my price range.What about any kind of military surplus wool blankets??
Thanks,
J.J.

Also depends on if you want PC-fuzziness or not. The "candy-striped" blankets are fairly recent arrivals (reservation period and newer).

You can get heavy duty white blankets from www.cheaperthandirt.com that are very nice, very warm, and very very PC. They aren't as fancy--and I use a red Whitney 4 point, a candy striped 4 point and a 2 1/2 point red "match coat", by the way, cause I like the fancier stuff--but they are very functional.

:results:

Read "A Note on Multistripe or Hudson's Bay Pattern Blankets" on the link I posted about HBC/Witney blankets.

From what I've read, blankets commonly traded were the 2.5, 3 and 3.5 points. I've also read about "quilts", but it doesn't give any details on it; traded or home-made.

Pare-

Latest posts

Back