• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wool blankets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybeard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The cheaper than dirt catalogue has supposedly 100percent wool blankets for less than $10. Anyone try them? :confused: Seems like they'd make good camp blankets and be fairly PC. thanks, graybeard.

You will see Capotes made out of the Italian brown blankets and some made out of the gray. The white hospital blankets are nice also.

Robert

I have several of the Italian blankets, and they are 100% wool. Mine vary in shade from medium grey to tannish to plain brown. They have a dark brownish stripe on them as well. Nice blankets.

Don't have experience with the others, but there was a thread on here maybe 6 months ago (under the treking forum) about blankets, and the view was that some were labeled wool but had other material in them...

Legion

Legion said:
. . . Don't have experience with the others, but there was a thread on here maybe 6 months ago (under the treking forum) about blankets, and the view was that some were labeled wool but had other material in them...Legion
I agree, for the price, you can't beat 'em, even if they are blended. the only complication I found was that the blended blankets wouldn't take a dye job.

I bought a few blankets for that price once. They had wool in them. I think that all the wool had been reused several times and it was really scratchy. Eventually, the only thing I was able to use them for was lining the trunk of the car. They shredded with use.

Buy a good one, even at an antique store. It will last longer.

Many Klatch

:) Haunt the auctions for Hudson Bay blankets and be REALLY pc . I have bought them from 15 to 40 bucks. just watch for moth holes. Bob

graybeard said:
The cheaper than dirt catalogue has supposedly 100percent wool blankets for less than $10. Anyone try them? :confused: Seems like they'd make good camp blankets and be fairly PC. thanks, graybeard.

I have an Italian wool blanket with a stripe on it that I like very well. I use it inside my mummy sleeping bag when camping if it is cold. Good quality wool.

graybeard said:

I bought 2 of the 100% wool British white hospital blankets. The older one is 100% and the newer one is a blend of unknown proportion but I couldn't tell the two apart without reading the label. For under $10, they are excellent blankets.

really old Bob said:
:) Haunt the auctions for Hudson Bay blankets and be REALLY pc . I have bought them from 15 to 40 bucks. just watch for moth holes. Bob

Hudson Bay blankets aren't PC for everybody. My time frame is the 1750's/60's. Plain white wool works nice though.

The white hospital blankets get even better after a trip through some hot water and the dryer. Randy

The only problem with putting them though the wash is that they will felt a bit and come out smaller then when they went in.

Frost

Frost said:
The only problem with putting them though the wash is that they will felt a bit and come out smaller then when they went in.

Frost

Frost,

Felting a bit is not a problem. Washing a wool blanket is called "fulling" and not only may felt the blanket a little, but also makes the individual threads closer and tighter which makes for a warmer blanket. Good wool blankets probably only shrink about 5% so you don't really lose much in size.

Randy Hedden

The very best wool blankets I have ever used were handwoven Amish blankets. If you live anywhere nere Amish or Mennonite country you can find them in the $25-$35 dollar range at auctions and flea markets.
Amish wool blankets are twice as thick as any blanket I have ever used.

Randy Hedden

Hudson's Bay made blankets from the 1600's. They have quite a history, and more than just the traditional "point" blanket.

A common misunderstanding that Hudson's Bay made blankets. They never have. They imported blankets that were made for them. They used several different companies, including Earlies, Atkinson and Whitney.

The labels on Hudson's Bay Blankets were never used until the late 1800's when Whitney started selling their own blankets. HB put a label on to make sure you knew it was a 'Hudson's Bay' blanket.

wb

I bought 4 of these for less than 50 bucks including shipping and they are warm , feel like 100% wool. Couldn't see paying 100$ for something I was gonna throw on the ground around a fire.
[url] http://www.majorsurplusnsurvi...OD&Product_Code=080358&Category_Code=210[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back