• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ceintures flechee / arrow sashes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psycho Mike

Free Cdn
Reaction score
Here's a good one for you who are more familiar with the fur trade history than I am...

I've noticed that most of the arrow sashes / ceintures flechee have a red base and are associated with either voyageurs / fur traders or Metis peoples these days. I've seen a few red and black versions that seem like they would be well tied to the Northwest Co., just like their red and black blankets. Has anyone ever seen one with the HBC colors being prominent? Obviously, they would not have been done in white with the green, red, yellow and blue of HBC....but does anyone know if an HBC related pattern ever took hold anywhere?

If you study up on the history of the sashes, you'll find that the colors had more to do with where they were made (different areas preferred different colors) and little-to-nothing ot do with the "colors" of HBC or the NWC.

Thanks LW...the red and black had me curious after seeing it paired with a NWC capote. I'll have to do a little more digging then to see if there was something more likely to be seen out here....we're a ways from a lot of the eastern (i.e. Quebec) locales where a lot of them have their roots.

What time period are you looking at? Region? I can take a look at my pic file and see if any show details on sashes.

LW, Northwest Territory of what became Canada circa early 1800s... so something for west of the Manitoba settlements.

I figure the Colonial would work as Papa's "hand-me-down" gun for some young pup adventurer who ended up putting down roots out west once he dried behind his ears ;)

Well, the core program manager from the historical park (essentially dedicated to city history from early 1800s HBC trading house until the 1920s) got back to me. Their garment researcher seems to think that a few would have come out from the east (patterns like L'Assumption or Acadian) but many would have been custom woven in varying patterns locally, along the trade route. Common colors this way were a little different mix too....red (of course), pale blue, dark blue, yellow and green and there would have been a good number of woven patterns too.

I'll have to do some more digging, but it may be possible for me to find or weave something that would fit the bill without having to hunt for something specific (yay).

LW, if you do happen to come across any images, still feel free to post them up for some inspiration for me :)

Back