• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Extra Fancy Stock Finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up an extra fancy maple SMR from the Kibler folks. I’m wondering if anyone tried finishing a stock with the first stain being lye, then using the Iron nitrate over the lye? I’m looking for more of a red tint that the lye imparts to the stock. Not sure that would work, if not then I’ll just do the Iron nitrate and lay the lye on top of that.

Great to know! I used the lye on my cherry Colonial that turned out okay. Somehow I was under the impression that it would be the same on the maple, by putting the aqua fortis on first then the lye. Should have asked for samples when I made my order. The barrel channel will work I guess.

Depending on how red you want it you can mix LMF American Walnut and LMF Cheery. This is how red this one turned out.

Attachments

• 20230218_113341.jpg
    20230218_113341.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Hi,
Ferric nitrate dissolved in water is the same chemical solution as the stain we call "aqua fortis" minus most of the residual acidity. Here is sugar maple stained with ferric nitrate in water and blushed with heat.
Z9GzPkr.jpg

Here is that same piece then painted with lye water.
N8fWX71.jpg

Here is the finished rifle.
RbFBmkx.jpg

zp9U5yj.jpg

dave

Hi,
Ferric nitrate dissolved in water is the same chemical solution as the stain we call "aqua fortis" minus most of the residual acidity. Here is sugar maple stained with ferric nitrate in water and blushed with heat.
Z9GzPkr.jpg

Here is that same piece then painted with lye water.
N8fWX71.jpg

Here is the finished rifle.
RbFBmkx.jpg

zp9U5yj.jpg

dave
This is where I was going. I knew I read this process somewhere along the line. Dave have you done the reverse on the application? The lye first with the aqua fortis next, then the blushing?

This is where I was going. I knew I read this process somewhere along the line. Dave have you done the reverse on the application? The lye first with the aqua fortis next, then the blushing?
Hi,
No, because I use the lye water to neutralize any residual acidity after blushing the ferric nitrate. Theoretically, you don't have to neutralize ferric nitrate after blushing because of the initial low acidity and the heat drives off the residual hydrogen ions. However, a basic solution (lye, ammonia, baking soda, etc) just assures no acids are left and the additional benefit of the lye is it reddens the color. Let me relate a story. I wanted to match the light orangey color of the original Edward Marshall rifle on my copy of it. I did all kinds of experiments on scrap wood using really dilute ferric nitrate stain. I thought I had it just right then I stained the gun. After blushing, it looked terrible, like a plain gray brown board sprayed with thin magenta paint. So I hit it with lye water and boom, the color I wanted appeared immediately. Here is that gun.

48BvIrd.jpg

vFonceu.jpg

dgntHRT.jpg

0vDnuIx.jpg

dave

Hi,
No, because I use the lye water to neutralize any residual acidity after blushing the ferric nitrate. Theoretically, you don't have to neutralize ferric nitrate after blushing because of the initial low acidity and the heat drives off the residual hydrogen ions. However, a basic solution (lye, ammonia, baking soda, etc) just assures no acids are left and the additional benefit of the lye is it reddens the color. Let me relate a story. I wanted to match the light orangey color of the original Edward Marshall rifle on my copy of it. I did all kinds of experiments on scrap wood using really dilute ferric nitrate stain. I thought I had it just right then I stained the gun. After blushing, it looked terrible, like a plain gray brown board sprayed with thin magenta paint. So I hit it with lye water and boom, the color I wanted appeared immediately. Here is that gun.

48BvIrd.jpg

vFonceu.jpg

dgntHRT.jpg

0vDnuIx.jpg

dave
Well, I learned something about lye I would have never used it until seeing your results.
Is that a chambers Eddie Marshall or a one off? Which lock. I don't recognize it.

Hi,

48BvIrd.jpg

vFonceu.jpg

dgntHRT.jpg

0vDnuIx.jpg

dave
Wow! Nice work Dave! Okay I’ll do mine the standard way. Actually the red tint is not bad at all.

I’ve heard of oak being fumed with ammonia vapors to darken it. Don’t know if it would work with maple. If you want a maple sample to experiment with, the block at the butt end of the stock an breach end of the barrel in the shipping crate is maple. Least it was with my kits.

Latest posts

Back