• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wooden Dowel Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Start with a hickory split and you won't have grain run-out

True. But downside is not everyone has access to good green hickory. Good rods are difficult to find. (I know, a member here is reported to be selling fine rods, I applaud that)
If you do split your own rod, I personally have never figured out how to make the rod nice and round without a blade machine. e.g. pencil sharpener type. Using that blows the whole intent of going for no run-out. Scraping with a knife will work but the rod will not be round or straight. Really, that's OK if you ain't looking for perfect or pretty.
All that said, difficulty of finding good hickory, run-out free, rods is why I went to Delrin for 90% of my shooting. Won't break, easy on the bore and, most of all, safe. My wood rods are saved for historic presentations and ronny.

A friend of mine made his own rods and sold quite a few as well. He would find a billet of hickory that he liked and would split it into many sticks of straight grained hickory. He would then cut a long taper on one end of each split and pull it through a series of decreasing sizes of holes in a steel plate. Each successive hole would remove a bit more of the corners until the final hole finished the rounding process. He would cut off the end with the taper on it and the rod was ready to sand. I watched him make a few rods and it didn't take him any time at all to make a round rod with no run out. After the last time through the holes in the plate, he would quickly sand the surface smooth and it was ready to apply the tips and finish.

You might try opening your flash hole up a little. 1/16 is pretty tiny, If your rifle has a flash hole liner, just get a couple and drill them out to at least .078 (5/64'ths) and if you have the tools coning the inside of the liner brings powder right to the flash hole. My TVM Leman with a late English style lock works great. only a dull flint or dry ball keeps it from firing.

As to ramrods, I order hickory rods from Track... and make them from that. I like to load from my pouch Like "they" did. I don't grab the ramrod more than 6-8 inches above the muzzle the first couple of pushes and then no more 10 inches above the muzzle. I never break rods this way. just be sure to start with a good hickory rod. and always keep a spare in camp. You might do something silly like shoot your ramrod. Hey it happens! :2

I don't grab the ramrod more than 6-8 inches above the muzzle the first couple of pushes and then no more 10 inches above the muzzle

What you are doing is good procedure. The safety marging with synthetic or metal rods is for those who might ignore or forget proper procedures. I can honestly say I do not recall ever breaking a hickory rod. I have some 40+ years old but being a safety freak I'll stick with Delrin or stainless steel for most of my ml shooting.

Back