• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wood cock and teal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The woodcock have arrived, think we are the last to see them in the land this year. Seen five today.

The foggy damp day started with a squirrel. Tia worked a rabbit around and around for me but I had a real bad flint in the cock, it just would not go off. Shame really, it was a bonnie rabbit!

I ditched the flint and fitted a hand knapped one I made, what a difference! Instant ignition on a passing pigeon, still missed it though!

I was nearing a set of wooded pools that get teal on them so dug out of my bag a vial of steel shot and some card cut to the correct size. I developed a steel load in September, a card wrap protects the bore from the steel, it is only a short rang proposition. Now I only do this once a year with a flintlock before you all go nuts at me, I had to sneak in real close and shot just as they were about to lift, in fact a few did lift but with one shot I got three birds.

Tia was worn out by the thick mud retrieving them. As I mentioned, a once a season event for this flintlock, any more of this and it would spoil it! No wounded birds, I can live with it!

On the way back a woodcock emerged from a wood side hedge and flew away from me, instant ignition from my flint and through the smoke I saw the bird bounce of the ground, Tia missed the action but with her nose and my guiding we found it, it was a runner! It must of been close to thirty yards when I shot!!

Todays bag consists of a squirrel, a pheasant, a woodcock and three teal.

Not bad considering the poor results I have been having with this trade gun, my frizzen spring broke two weeks ago and funny patterns that I narrowed down to the powder! I used a different batch today and done better. I made a frizzen spring from an old wall hangers hammer spring! Works so far!

B :thumbsup:

The title of your thread made me think you were talking about a classic trout fly pattern! Great for a laugh. Your fine day is no laughing matter though, even as it brings great smiles. Thanks! :thumbsup:

You're a very resourceful hunter...equipped to shoot whatever comes along.

Never was a duck hunter and judging from my distasteful experiences w/ eating mallards, have "sworn off" wild ducks. Perhaps teal are different, but they would have to be a "whole lot different" for me to change my mind. Defeathered, ducks were a disappointment.....they became a whole lot smaller.

Squirrels I relish....this is the only animal that I segregate as to age when cooking.. Cooking young and old squirrels together doesn't accommodate either.

That's a "huge" woodcock unless the camera is "playing tricks". Next to grouse hunting, woodcock shooting is in fact as good a hunt at times as grouse because they "hold" tighter for my setters.

Woodcock are delicious eating w/ a slightly livery taste....have had many delicious meals of the "timberdoodle".

A few years ago had to literally drag my setter out of the woods because a "flight" of woodcock came in and seeing I already had a limit, couldn't shoot any more. "Spot" the setter and I were both disappointed, but the next day the woodcock were still there and we again limited out. Wingshooting at it's best.

Really enjoy reading about your hunting exploits and expertize.....Fred

Thanks for posting your story! And I agree, that is a HUGE Woodcock! Well done!

Fantastic outing to say the least...a lucky guy to have that variety of game available on the same day...and excellent shooting !!
:hatsoff:

:hatsoff: good going!

Congratulations on such a fine day hunting.
Nice story and pictures as always.

Silex

Thanks gents. The bird is a wee bit closer to the lens I guess. Quite normal though.

I love these birds, ours come from Scandinavia, Russia including Siberia I believe !

B.

That's a big woodcock. I've never shot one that big.
Teal and redheads are the best tasting ducks IMO and with a rocklock they probably taste even better .. if that's possible. :hatsoff:

Congratulations on a fine day of shooting and a nice mixed bag of game, all fine eating. As to the size of the woodcock, I believe the European variety is on average a good bit larger than North American woodcock.

Wonderful Story and Photos. :thumbsup: What a great place to have opportunity at a mixed bag.

Never tried any of the fowl but Squirrels are my absolute favorite!

Have you tried Bismuth? I have heard it is softer and not hard on Muzzleloader barrels.

Anyone Heard different?

Mighty fine day of hunting you had there and as the others have stated "a VERY big woodcock". The ones my dad and I hunted with our Springer Spaniel "Rusty" would spend all day in the dense woods for 3 or 4 of the eastern NJ ones that were about 2/3 that size (maybe). The woods were so dense you could hardly swing the gun more than 10 degrees without hitting another tree & the birds would flush at your feet.

Good job Brit...know she's pooped out but missed seeing Tia/Sprocket regardless! :wink: :thumbsup:

Back