• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex and corrosion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. Each rifle is different, even identical models sitting next to each other on the production line.

In cartridge guns I've got two identical rifles- same model and caliber, serial #'s only 4 digits apart. The accuracy load for one is a stinker for the other. And visa versa.

That's why it's important to do your own load testing and development.

Dan Pawlak(sp?) was the original inventor and manufacturer of Pyrodex. He was killed in an explosion at his factory, I recall, but there were some problems with his early powder. He changed the formula just before his death. Hodgdon acquired the rights to make the powder and has done so since. The Source of this critical information Was correct at the time written. If there is any confusion, its because the manufacturer has not done enough to distinguish the current "pyrodex" from the original. Perhaps the PR dept. at Hodgdon doesn't think its worth the bother and expense to fight "Old critics", even when these old articles in books and magazines still exist among shooters( who seem to save everything.)

I take all negative criticism with a grain of "salt", because of my Age, and past experiences reading opinions from Gun Writers I deeply respect for some matters, but laugh about when they express opinions about other issues.

For Instance, ELMER KEITH, a fine expert on revolvers, used an old .30-06 bullet made by a company that no longer is in business, back in the early 1930s, to shoot an elk. The bullet did not expand, as advertised, and Keith BAD-MOUTHED the cartridge( not the bullet) for the rest of his life as a deer or Elk cartridge. There is NO evidence that he ever fired another .30-06, at any game, with any modern ammo After that ill-fated Elk Hunt. He died in the 1980s.
It has never been hard for me to "Discount" a lot that Elmer wrote about most rifle cartridges- it wasn't his area of expertise.

This series of posts just reinforces my belief that products need to be revisited, every so often, unless they have disappeared from the marketplace. The Fact that they still are being sold should be a RED FLAG that something has happened that causes BETTER results with the current product, than what happened to you with the original, and older versions. :hatsoff:

Part of the problem is that guys accustomed to shooting black powder, can go to a match, give the gun several patches and a wipe down and put the gun away to clean a couple days later, with no ill effects. Don't ever do that with Pyroduh.

Of course if you immediately scrub the gun spotless, there is no difference.

Try mixing black powder fouling with water and Pyroduh fouling with water and measure the PH of both. Pyroduh is more corrosive.

As for micro craters, etching, etc, I don't have a clue. But I have seen the PH test done.

Back