• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why use a Hotshot nipple?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning to get a spare nipple from TOW. It looks like they only sell Hotshots in the correct size for the Thompson Center lock on my rifle. Are these better or worse than OEM? Shoudl I try and find an original T?C nipple?

The T/C breech has a complex flash channel path through the snail (breech). The cap needs to send a strong jet of flame and heat to the powder charge. As can be seen in the cutaway photo below, thanks to @QuinnTheEskimo for finding this picture, there are lots of places in the flash channel to be bridged by powder grains and fouling that will separate the main powder charge from the cap flash. Hot shot and other efficient flash directing nipples send a jet of flame that has a better chance of setting off the main charge.

Do pay attention to the model. I believe you may have a T/C Hawken rifle that takes 1/4-28 threads in the nipple.

1665437484851.png

Keep your flash channel clean!

I'm planning to get a spare nipple from TOW. It looks like they only sell Hotshots in the correct size for the Thompson Center lock on my rifle. Are these better or worse than OEM? Shoudl I try and find an original T?C
I'm planning to get a spare nipple from TOW. It looks like they only sell Hotshots in the correct size for the Thompson Center lock on my rifle. Are these better or worse than OEM? Shoudl I try and find an original T?C nipple?
I bought a couple of “red hot #11 nipples” from Muzzleloaders.com. It is tapered and I’ve found a any manufacturer cap seats easily and consistently. Would recommend all shooters give these a try.

Photo of the T/C breech is really interesting, explains a lot. But the rifle I’m needing a nipple for is different. It was made back in the 1970s by a builder in Portsmouth, NH. Green Mtn Barrel, T/C lock, but no hooked breech like a Hawken. Barrel is pinned to the stock. Takes a 1/4 28 nipple.

Hot Shot, Red Hot, Spitfire or others designed for use with the substitute black powders will deliver a hotter flash to the main charge regardless of the breech. In general, that will result in a more reliable ignition of the main charge whether using real black powder or the substitute powder. What's not to like? The vented cone may create cap fragments, but the cup in the hammer for the drum and design of the shield in the snail keep the cap fragments close to the nipple.

Last time I used Hot shot nipples was back in the 90's. Me and my buddy had nothing but misfires with them. Went back to standard and problems went away. Haven't tried them since so I don't know if they've changed. Use musket caps now to good effect.

I have the Hot Shot on a Ozark Mountain Arms 50cal and one on an Ithaca 50cal. The only difference I have noticed is that the cap usually separates into several pieces. The T/C rifles that I have all have factory nipples and the caps seem to stay together on them. I guess when the caps separate they are easier to remove. They usually just fall out after firing. I do always check the hammers to make sure a small piece is not stuck up in it. But that has never been a real problem. I always use real BP and the Hot Shot may be a little faster, but not enough to make a difference to me.

I have the Hot Shot on a Ozark Mountain Arms 50cal and one on an Ithaca 50cal. The only difference I have noticed is that the cap usually separates into several pieces. The T/C rifles that I have all have factory nipples and the caps seem to stay together on them. I guess when the caps separate they are easier to remove. They usually just fall out after firing. I do always check the hammers to make sure a small piece is not stuck up in it. But that has never been a real problem. I always use real BP and the Hot Shot may be a little faster, but not enough to make a difference to me.
I have noticed that when my M.L. starts spliting caps my nipple is wearing out and needs replacing. I don't know if this is your problem or not but you could try a new nipple and see?

I tried the Hot Shot nipples [vented] in a TC Hawken usingT-7, 2f and and they were a complete bust. No ignition at all. Standard TC nipples worked pretty well. Best ignition came with Knight Red Hot nipples. I believe the vents were the culprit, with the Hot Shots, in getting enough flame to navigate the TC flash channel. I think they let pressure escape the nipple instead of forcing it into the channel. Just my experience. SW

The T/C breech has a complex flash channel path through the snail (breech). The cap needs to send a strong jet of flame and heat to the powder charge. As can be seen in the cutaway photo below, thanks to @QuinnTheEskimo for finding this picture, there are lots of places in the flash channel to be bridged by powder grains and fouling that will separate the main powder charge from the cap flash. Hot shot and other efficient flash directing nipples send a jet of flame that has a better chance of setting off the main charge.

Do pay attention to the model. I believe you may have a T/C Hawken rifle that takes 1/4-28 threads in the nipple.

View attachment 167697

Keep your flash channel clean!
The cutaway shows why so many of us hate recessed breeches.
I know there are several variations, some better than others.
I will never buy another one unless it is an original that is so appealing otherwise that the better features outweigh the breech disadvantages.

Back