• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why not Pyrodex in a flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right about the grades. I use RS (FFG equivalent) for the charge and P (FFFG equivalent) for the primer (and yes, it does have a "fuse effect" most of the time but it works with my pistols more often than not) Sorry for the confusion and looking forward to using the real stuff when I can.

In answer to Crazybear's question "What type of gunpowder is in fire crackers?", Archer 756 said:

BLACK POWDER :ThankYou:

Actually, no. Firecrackers use flash powder. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_powder
Now, I never take Wikipedia as gospel but this article is accurate. Black powder may be used in larger "firecrackers" like cherry bombs and M80 but not in the average firecracker, it burns too slowly and the charge is too small.

Flintlocks work very well with black powder, watched a friend fire 25 rounds straight without a misfire or hang fire.

Flintlocks don't work well when fed black powder substitutes. The shooter can use BP in the pan along with an igniter charge of 5-10 grains of black powder under the BP substitute: But that's a pain.

way back in the long- ago, a friend gave me a bunch of Pyrodex. It didn't work at all well in my flintlock rifle, and i had to make a duplex load to get it to fire at all.
works fine in my percussion revolver, though.

I would be curious to see what the results would be of a truly independent test. I will eventually conduct my own but that won't be for a while.

For example, I have seen that pyrodex ignites at a much higher temp, but at what temp, and how fast, does 4F burn? If 4F burns at a higher temp than it takes to ignite pyrodex, and it achieves that temp quickly, then it wouldn't matter.

A real test would require high speed video and an unbiased tester.
Go over to the American Longrifle Forums, and look up posts by the "Mad Monk". He is an engineer who has done some very extensive research on burn rates, etc., and has some really great posts regarding the different black powders and Pyrodex. Pyrodex DOES leave some nasty stuff call "perchlorates" behind, which are difficult to get cleaned out.

I would be curious to see what the results would be of a truly independent test. I will eventually conduct my own but that won't be for a while.

For example, I have seen that pyrodex ignites at a much higher temp, but at what temp, and how fast, does 4F burn? If 4F burns at a higher temp than it takes to ignite pyrodex, and it achieves that temp quickly, then it wouldn't matter.

A real test would require high speed video and an unbiased tester.

It is really like apples and oranges. Black Powder is an explosive with an ignition temperature of 350*. Pyrodex is Black Powder that has been treated with a coating that increases the ignition temperature to 740* thereby getting it classified as a propellant.

Granted, if you grind the Pyrodex, you will probably remove some of the coating so that some times it will ignite with a flint. However, it won't be reliable enough to be worth the effort.

Go over to the American Longrifle Forums, and look up posts by the "Mad Monk". He is an engineer who has done some very extensive research on burn rates, etc., and has some really great posts regarding the different black powders and Pyrodex. Pyrodex DOES leave some nasty stuff call "perchlorates" behind, which are difficult to get cleaned out.
Absolutely. Hot water dissolve it.

Pyrodex DOES leave some nasty stuff call "perchlorates" behind, which are difficult to get cleaned out.

Before leaving the range after firing Pyrodex, i swab the bore with a patch wet with Windex with vinegar, it dissolves Pyrodex residue very quickly. At home the cleanup is fast using tap water.

BTW: With the possible exception of Hodgdon 888, all the black powder substitutes contain potassium perchlorate. It's a cheap way of increasing the puissance of the powder.

SDS Sheets-Hodgdon Muzzleloading-2017.xlsx

Black_MZ.pdf (alliantpowder.com)

get_pdf.cfm (nist.gov)

Last edited:
Before leaving the range after firing Pyrodex, i swab the bore with a patch wet with Windex with vinegar, it dissolves Pyrodex residue very quickly. At home the cleanup is fast using tap water.
Hodgdon states on their website that after firing brass cartridge cases loaded with Pyrodex to immediately drop them in a bucket of water with vinegar added to nuetralize the residue. Pyrodex residue will destroy the brass case quickly otherwise.

Latest posts

Back