• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why not Pyrodex in a flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Being one of them fellers that has to prove fer hisself what works and what don’t, I decided to try some Pyrodex P in a flintlock pistol pan. The flint in the pistol shown will ignite Goex or Scheutzen 2f every time without fail. How some ever, with Pyrodex P , I got ignition 1 out of 6 tries. Ain’t acceptable fer me. So fer them a wantin’ to know, there you are.
E5F74583-3E39-403E-8B36-80542D1A0136.jpeg

Even if you use BP in the pan you get a hang fire with pyrodex in the barrel. You have to use a duplex bp and pyro load to get normal function.

I use Pyrodex 4f in the pan and 2f for the main charge in all my pistols. If it doesn't ignite it's either the frizzen needs hardening or the flint (which better be in good shape)

Blackpowder can be tough to get for some. Definitely use real stuff in the pan. If you have one of those patent chambers like thomspon and lyman guns do, put about 5-10gr real stuff in first, then pyrodex afterwards. Numerous modern pellet powder manufacturers have a grey pellet with a black on one side. Thats real blackpowder.....

Traidtional guns with regular full bore sized chambers at the flash hole, you might need more powder. Or possibly, mix 1/2 blackpowder and 1/2 pyrodex for the 1st 20 gains or so.

if you have a patent chamber, make sure you clean it good. I use a 357 brass brush to clean my lyman great plains rifle. You might be wise to open up that flash hole too I used a 1/16th drill bit on mine. No problems, except finding room in my freezer for after the trigger pull....

I would be curious to see what the results would be of a truly independent test. I will eventually conduct my own but that won't be for a while.

For example, I have seen that pyrodex ignites at a much higher temp, but at what temp, and how fast, does 4F burn? If 4F burns at a higher temp than it takes to ignite pyrodex, and it achieves that temp quickly, then it wouldn't matter.

A real test would require high speed video and an unbiased tester.

Back