• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why no black powder hunting personalities

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Snakebit, those shows have ruined hunting. Before all their fictitious hupla you hardly ever saw No Trespassing Signs! On Lake Okeechobee here in Fl you may have heard a few airboats on opening day of duck now because of shows like the duck commander it’s hard to find a spot with no one around you. Mudboats buzz around like bees. The thing is the majority don’t even realize you don’t set up only 100 yards from someone already there and they don’t care until they get sprayed !! Shows are so crafted and pieced together only to highlight products. The way dick calls are portrayed is just rediculous, never heard four and five ducks in the wild hail calling as fast and as long as they could and had ducks come in!!! Yup you will see it pieced together on a duck show so hurry up and go buy that call and that will be you!!! Don’t think so, Sorry for the rant those shows are just rediculous, However I can’t lie, I did like The Meat Eater!! Different take on it all “Eat What You Kill”

having grown up reading O'Conner, Carmichel, and a few others, it really upsets me with this obsession with sub 1" groups at 200 yards or more we all thought that a 2" group offhand at 100 was good to go for deer hunting! having worked for Federal for 21 years the standard off the loader is 2.5" at 200 yards out of the test barrel

I fell for the big buck craze for a while. I've killed a few big bucks. But my most memorable buck to date is a basket racked 7 point I killed in the bottoms with a recurve, homemade cedar shaft, from a homemade tree stand wearing a brown and green flannel shirt. Not my biggest, but one I'm most proud of. My phrase is "backstraps and tacos".

A buddy of mine lost his lease of many years because word got out there was a 200 inch deer seen on the property. A well known TV show/gadget making outlet bought the property. The stories go on and on. I'm to the point where I'm happy with any legal deer that presents a good shot opportunity. I won't knock the fella that buys the magic camo, or the 2 lb climber and all that stuff. I'm just as happy as he is taking my second hand T/C WM carbine to the woods and bang flopping a fat doe. She's delicious.

TV entertainment has changed -- off the networks & onto social media, YouTube, etc.

Along with Clay Hayes & Ryan Gill (mostly traditional & primitive archery but occasional flintlock stuff), I enjoy Everything Black Powder. Great channel with fun content, constant experimentation & learning. It's less about hunting and more about shooting though.

There's nothing quite like a gap in the market to create an opportunity for somebody.

TV entertainment has changed -- off the networks & onto social media, YouTube, etc.

Along with Clay Hayes & Ryan Gill (mostly traditional & primitive archery but occasional flintlock stuff), I enjoy Everything Black Powder. Great channel with fun content, constant experimentation & learning. It's less about hunting and more about shooting though.

There's nothing quite like a gap in the market to create an opportunity for somebody.
I think the Meat Eater show did a hunting with a flint look show once. They spent most of their time talking about how difficult it was

been hunting for 56 years, i very much dislike hunting shows . to me the hunt itself is more fun the the killing of an animal as that signifies the end of the hunt. that animal and the mountains are greatly respected by me.i really dont mind not taking a deer as long as im out there. on these shows idiots jumpin up and down yellin YOU SMOKED EM are too much for me. i also feel that shows like that hurt hunting. imagine a parent or a teacher showing kids some of those shows. what will they think a hunter is???
I agree with you. They act like jackasses and to me it is embarrassing.

I fell for the big buck craze for a while. I've killed a few big bucks. But my most memorable buck to date is a basket racked 7 point I killed in the bottoms with a recurve, homemade cedar shaft, from a homemade tree stand wearing a brown and green flannel shirt. Not my biggest, but one I'm most proud of. My phrase is "backstraps and tacos".

A buddy of mine lost his lease of many years because word got out there was a 200 inch deer seen on the property. A well known TV show/gadget making outlet bought the property. The stories go on and on. I'm to the point where I'm happy with any legal deer that presents a good shot opportunity. I won't knock the fella that buys the magic camo, or the 2 lb climber and all that stuff. I'm just as happy as he is taking my second hand T/C WM carbine to the woods and bang flopping a fat doe. She's delicious.
Well said.

I don’t have a TV, though when I am up visiting my sister I get an opportunity to see what shows there are on TV. (She pays a lot for cable!)
God what a stupid way to waste time: the shows were terrible (she likes mostly cooking and home- time shows: I scoured the thing for History and Outdoor stuff). Nothing, absolutely nothing was interesting and frankly just bad acting trying to pass as being “informative and authoritative”.
I would not expect anything as specialized as BlackPowder shooting or even true hunting episodes on TV.
I am in agreement with someone earlier who pointed out that the Internet would be the source for these kinds of things.
Just as Mainstream Network News is dying out in favor of more factual, alternative News sources, good “programming” like what this thread is addressing will only be created by individuals and interested and qualified folks who have a vested interest in what they are doing. That’s kind of a “re-leaf”!

I don’t have a TV, though when I am up visiting my sister I get an opportunity to see what shows there are on TV. (She pays a lot for cable!)
God what a stupid way to waste time: the shows were terrible (she likes mostly cooking and home- time shows: I scoured the thing for History and Outdoor stuff). Nothing, absolutely nothing was interesting and frankly just bad acting trying to pass as being “informative and authoritative”.
I would not expect anything as specialized as BlackPowder shooting or even true hunting episodes on TV.
I am in agreement with someone earlier who pointed out that the Internet would be the source for these kinds of things.
Just as Mainstream Network News is dying out in favor of more factual, alternative News sources, good “programming” like what this thread is addressing will only be created by individuals and interested and qualified folks who have a vested interest in what they are doing. That’s kind of a “re-leaf”!
Smart man.

Lol powder horns...

I need one this big!! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_6139.gif
    IMG_6139.gif
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
Jim Shockey, Larimer Sasquatch Miller. Sasquatch hunts with side lock or did. I haven't had his channel in quite awhile. He is on insta gram. I don't know what Shockeys doing since he lost his wife.
I like Sasquatch and watch his shows. But, there is a lot of filler. Like when he had a "misfire" but in reality there wasn't a cap on the nipple. He has had quite a few misfires.

You’re famous at my house BP Maniac! I look forward to your new videos every Sunday morning! Just ask my wife or our son! If you’re ever in Northern California we could burn some powder on my range.
what video????, send out the link. .I love BP videos.....

Back