• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm am far from an expert on bp as I just tinker with it for awhile then go do something else then come back and piddle for awhile then go find something else then come back and over and over.

In the past when asked by a poster to recommend something there was a small list of recommendations. Now all of a sudden everything is Kibler. Why Kibler? Is he an old timer doing this for years or is he recently new to this but knows how to make nice stuff with cnc machines? Is it he makes high end stuff with cnc machines and charges at half the price. Why is he the new king and new answer to all that is bp.

I'm am far from an expert on bp as I just tinker with it for awhile then go do something else then come back and piddle for awhile then go find something else then come back and over and over.

In the past when asked by a poster to recommend something there was a small list of recommendations. Now all of a sudden everything is Kibler. Why Kibler? Is he an old timer doing this for years or is he recently new to this but knows how to make nice stuff with cnc machines? Is it he makes high end stuff with cnc machines and charges at half the price. Why is he the new king and new answer to all that is bp.
It's Kibler since it's high quality at a fair price and the parts actually fit together.

Geez, Bob. You've been here since 2012. I was hoping you could tell me :)

When I saw all the Kibler recommendations I azzumed it was like knife forums and knives... there was a flavor of the day and a changing of the guard every few years. Usually due to higher prices and long wait times. Which I suppose can't be avoided if you are doing everything yourself and suddenly find yourself swamped with orders. But I see no one else in even the wings challenging. And that's saying something.

They appear to have set... no pun intended on SET knives ;) ... the gold standard as @TDM put so well.

It remains to be seen if the prices climb and the wait time lengthens. Actually, maybe the wait time already has. I saw someone in the past few days saying they had to wait six months after ordering a kit. Or maybe his was being assembled??? Either way, at my age and for other reasons long wait times mean everything to me. I've been looking at buying one already built, just because they scream quality parts.

But right now Kibler is King from what I've seen being turned out.

Kibler kits can be successfully assembled by persons with less experience building longrifles than other offerings. The quality is more than “cnc” alone. Fit, function, design, customer service, and extensive video demonstrations on how to do the job well. Availability of product. Plus, Kibler kits are the latest product on the market.

Six month waits are only for the newest model and special wood requests, but blem stock kits of all models are posted for immediate sale and are updated frequently on the Kibler website. They have not gotten themselves behind like many companies have because they increase everything necessary to reasonably meet demand. I will add "excellent business model" to TDM's list.

Six month waits are only for the newest model and special wood requests, but blem stock kits of all models are posted for immediate sale and are updated frequently on the Kibler website. They have not gotten themselves behind like many companies have because they increase everything necessary to reasonably meet demand. I will add "excellent business model" to TDM's list.
I agree.

Good info on the six month wait.
Thanks guys.
Jim is turning them out at a very good pace now. My carved Woodsrunner arrived in 3 weeks. My (a lot wealthier than me) daughter in law asked me to build another SMR for my 2nd grandson who is on the way. On her nickel I ordered a .45 in cherry Monday week ago, it shipped out yesterday. Pretty amazing really considering I waited 6 months for the first Woodsrunner and about 4 months for my first SMR.

Just by watching James Kibler & his instruction videos takes him to the top. Now add his kits are built in Ohio not cross the pond. He listens he is available here on the Forum n by email n phone. His kits work, they go together well. Its just a matter if James has a kit that you like, he has 3 different models at this time.

Jim is turning them out at a very good pace now. My carved Woodsrunner arrived in 3 weeks. My (a lot wealthier than me) daughter in law asked me to build another SMR for my 2nd grandson who is on the way. On her nickel I ordered a .45 in cherry Monday week ago, it shipped out yesterday. Pretty amazing really considering I waited 6 months for the first Woodsrunner and about 4 months for my first SMR.

Much appreciated.

So are all the parts high quality. Let's say the locks on a flintlock. Will his be top end or do I need to look farther?
Kibler's Ketland lock is the only flinter I'd consider for my .62 smooth Kentucky pistol build.

I won't even give thought to L&R, R.E. Davis, etc.

Last edited:
Kibler locks are probably the best available today. As I recall the price of a Kibler lock alone is $300, quite a bit more than the most common locks. Higher prices don't necessarily mean higher quality, however high quality definitely justifies a higher price. I belive nearly all Kibler lock parts are machined, not cast.

Back