• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

why I like to add age

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy

70 Cal.
Reaction score
IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2414.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

Nice :hatsoff: I have don the same to my T.C hawken and G.P.R. I just built. I restoked the T.C. with the sale Item "curly maple" from TOTW.F.K.

Thanks fella's! :thumbsup: Not too shabby for a $30 piece of wood huh?

That's really a 200 yr. old gun, right? Nice job! Are those staples holding a crack together just forward of the frizzen?......Fred

Yep made some staples out of wire. :thumbsup: Saw it once on an original somewhere :confused:

Very nice patina! Job well done and it all works together. To me that's the hardest part. Getting the wood and metal to all look the same age.Well done.
Ken

Mike Brooks said:
It doesn't take an expensive piece of wood to make an attractive rifle. :grin:
Glad to hear you say that Mike, then can you deduct $150.00 off the price of my widowmaker? :rotf:

Probably a whole lot better than a 200 year old turkey :shocked2:

What a fine piece of work! You guys are surely an inspiration to improve my skills. Can you tell us more about the gun and how you got that result?
Dan

Nice job it looks like it has seen some use, I like that look unless I am doing a gun that would be "new" but mine are usualy meant to be older guns ( not 200 years old) I have yet to figure out why some people see a gun that has been aged or patinaed automaticly think it looks 200 years old.

200 yrs seems to be that magic number lol. :hmm: Never seems to be 150 yrs does it?

Dan lbsmyr said:
What a fine piece of work! You guys are surely an inspiration to improve my skills. Can you tell us more about the gun and how you got that result?
Dan

Its sort of an Isasac Haines influenced Lancaster of sorts :haha: I guess. Has a Rice 38" B weight .50 cal barrel and the Chambers deluxe Siler lock.
First off I built the gun like I would normally, the only one thing I did do before applying the finish is wear down some of the carving a bit after I stained it. After I had it stained and finished I then started to add the dents and dings scratches and played a bit more the color on the stock. Used bleach and what ever else I could to pit the barrel and lock some, rounded all hard edges, and buggered up the screws (btw the lock srews do look worse now). I am still darkening up the brass, but this will as everyone knows become darker with some use.

Roy, I never get tired of looking at your stuff, really nice, all of it!!
What do you do to achieve that black, oxidized varnish look?
Robby

Back