• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Aging cherry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
Let's see if these came out....
Not the best photos and the gun was dirty, but this is my cherry rifle. It's unstained. A certain photo platform tried to ransom me for my good photos of this rifle.
That rifle was finished in shellac sealer followed by an oil finish.
What you posted about cherry is interesting but....
The main thing I love about cherry is not staining it. I know it can vary from piece to piece but man I love...just cherry.
For me personally, staining cherry is like painting chrome bumpers.

Last edited:
Let's see if these came out....
Not the best photos and the gun was dirty, but this is my cherry rifle. It's unstained. A certain photo platform tried to ransom me for my good photos of this rifle.
That rifle was finished in shellac sealer followed by an oil finish.
What you posted about cherry is interesting but....
The main thing I love about cherry is not staining it. I know it can vary from piece to piece but man I love...just cherry.
For me personally, staining cherry is like painting chrome bumpers.
Now THAT is the color I like cherry to look like. I don't like pale.

Heavy-duty oven cleaner, yellow can, generic brand that states "Warning, contains sodium hydroxide" on the label somewhere. Whisker the stock as many times as necessary until the grain won't rise. Spray oven cleaner in a cup, dilute with distilled water 4:1 or so. Put on rubber gloves and wipe on stock with saturated rag. Let it chooch a few minutes but not dry. Saturate another rag in white vinegar and wipe the stock down in fast, even strokes. Wipe "dry" with dry rag. Let stock air dry, buff with coarse cloth or superfine grey Scotch-Brite if necessary, tack it off with 91% rubbing alcohol, and apply finish.

I’ve not tried it on cherry but for any timber that I want to accelerate the colour of age I use ammonia fumes - ie a bowl of ammonia inside an airtight container or bag with the timber. Ideally with all areas of the timber that will be visible completely uncovered open to the fumes, so not laying down.

Put your cherry stock in the sun for a few weeks. Lots of direct sun. My kitchen cabinets have changed color (darker, richer) over the years. My kitchen has lots of windows and faces South.

ADK Bigfoot

My first build, about 40
IMG_1575.jpg
years ago. Cherry stock, Minwax cherry stain. Why Minwax stain? No one told me that I could use other methods of finishing the stock. Minwax did bring out the grain of the cherry.[ATTACH

I'm not wholly satisfied with the finish I ended up with on my Cherry Woodsrunner using diluted cherry stain and T&T oil finish. Even though it's technically finished there's a couple of mods I plan to try. I've got a Cherry SMR build coming up and I'll be experimenting with other techniques including Burnt Umber oil paint.

I'm not wholly satisfied with the finish I ended up with on my Cherry Woodsrunner using diluted cherry stain and T&T oil finish. Even though it's technically finished there's a couple of mods I plan to try. I've got a Cherry SMR build coming up and I'll be experimenting with other techniques including Burnt Umber oil paint.

I'm going to be doing my WR soon, will use caustic because it has wide growth rings and shows a lot of pale that won't sun-darken very much. I won't go as dark as my last stock (Texas wild black cherry, not fruitwood) because it turned out looking artificial it's so freakin' scarlet red. Will keep you posted.

Full evening sun:

20230811_190329.jpg

Latest posts

Back