• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Why a smoothbore?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started with black powder almost 50 years ago it was with a reproduction Charleville. At the time I thought it was a bit less classy than the Bess's in our group (I loved those GRICE 1762 lock plates) but I loved the easy take down for cleaning. The smooth bore I have now I kind of backed into. It was referred to as a "shotgun" by its previous owner who had it built to compliment his Garner Early Virginia. I bought both pieces because i thought I really wanted the rifle... Boy was I wrong. The weight, versatility and skill factor sold me in the first hour in the woods.

This question may get me banned for life from this forum or even tarred and feathered, but here goes. Why do you guys shoot smoothbores? I can think of a few reasons but would love to hear your's. I'm fairly new to BP (3 years) and the only smoothbores I have ever fired were modern shotguns. Please be gentle with me...lol
They were common in history. Versatile, for fowl or patched round ball (accurate at hunting ranges).

Gonna find out about this small bore , smooth long rifle , monkey business this summer. Have a .555 cal. almost built. End of summer ,I will have used it enough , to tell what's going on with it. Just ordered a ..535 Lee mold for it,and can't wait to shoot it.

Gonna find out about this small bore , smooth long rifle , monkey business this summer. Have a .555 cal. almost built. End of summer ,I will have used it enough , to tell what's going on with it. Just ordered a ..535 Lee mold for it,and can't wait to shoot it.
They sure are interesting and make you use your mind .

Back