• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my .62 cal smoothbore flintlock Renegade out for the first day of grouse season. I usually use a patched round ball for small game and grouse. This year I decided to take advantage of the smoothbore's versatility and use shot in it. I've never been into shotguns or using shot so this was fairly new to me.

I found the gun shot a decent pattern with 1oz of #6 shot over 70gr FFF Goex. It also shot better with paper shot cups I made from Post-It notes than loose shot. I use a thick over powder card between the powder and the cushion and a thin card over the paper shot cup but forgot to include them in this pic.
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 275.JPG

My belt bag kit.
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 095.JPG

..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 071.JPG

I hiked about 3 miles before I came across a grouse. I've hunted grouse since 1982 but I'm pretty sure this is the first grouse I've ever taken using shot.
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 242.JPG

It was getting hot so I hiked out to my vehicle, cleaned the bird and put it in the cooler. Since I wasn't seeing any grouse besides this one I hit a few other areas I normally do well in. I covered a lot of ground in those areas, only seeing a snowshoe hare. It was getting late but I decided to try an area nearby that I've never hunted before. It didn't take long to get a second bird in the new area.
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 260.JPG

About 20 minutes later I got another bird, filling my days limit.
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 282.JPG

Since I was making fajitas I sliced the meat thin, looking for shot and feathers the shot pushed into the meat.
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 325.JPG

Grouse fajitas!
..62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt 339.JPG

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about your hunt and looking at those great pictures. That's a nice looking Renegade you have. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your day out in the woods, looks like fun! 👍

Thanks everyone!

Very cool. I like the idea of pre-made shot cartridges but haven’t tried to make/use them yet. So do you tear open the paper shot cups and pour down the barrel or ram the cartridge right on down atop the powder wad?

I put a 1/8" card over the powder followed by a lubed cushion. Then I put the paper shot cup in and tap it a few times with the ramrod to "weaken" the paper a bit. I put a 1/16" card over the shot cup.

When I was testing them I found it was important to tap the shot cup a few times with the ramrod. I didn't do it on the target on the left and it didn't open up. It drifted to the right and impacted sideways like a 1oz slug. It would have been a dead rabbit but I would have lost a lot of meat.

.62 Smoothbore Flintlock with #6 Shot and Dowel 048.JPG

Thanks everyone!

I put a 1/8" card over the powder followed by a lubed cushion. Then I put the paper shot cup in and tap it a few times with the ramrod to "weaken" the paper a bit. I put a 1/16" card over the shot cup.

When I was testing them I found it was important to tap the shot cup a few times with the ramrod. I didn't do it on the target on the left and it didn't open up. It drifted to the right and impacted sideways like a 1oz slug. It would have been a dead rabbit but I would have lost a lot of meat.

View attachment 159980
Interesting, thanks!

Back