• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.62 Smoothbore Flintlock Grouse Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well brother you sure look the part. Nice kit too. I enjoyed your little story so much I went right to the safe and dug out my old TC .56 smoothbore. Can't wait to get out there later in the week when it cools off a bit. Thanks.

Good luck! I have a three .56SB barrels but haven't given them enough attention. I need to change that.

Thanks everyone!

I put a 1/8" card over the powder followed by a lubed cushion. Then I put the paper shot cup in and tap it a few times with the ramrod to "weaken" the paper a bit. I put a 1/16" card over the shot cup.

When I was testing them I found it was important to tap the shot cup a few times with the ramrod. I didn't do it on the target on the left and it didn't open up. It drifted to the right and impacted sideways like a 1oz slug. It would have been a dead rabbit but I would have lost a lot of meat.

View attachment 159980
From what distance?

A Spruce grouse! I have only ever seen one of them in my life, not very common here in Idaho, at least where I hunt. Mostly see Ruff's, a Blue here and there.
The Spruce was in my early twenties and I was pretty high up in elevation, archery elk hunting. I can remember that it was very dark after being cooked, I chunked it up and just fried it, almost looked like steak once cooked. Very tasty, I enjoy grouse quite a bit. Very fine work getting them with a smoothy. I very much want to get a smooth bore and start turkey hunting with one.

A Spruce grouse! I have only ever seen one of them in my life, not very common here in Idaho, at least where I hunt. Mostly see Ruff's, a Blue here and there.
The Spruce was in my early twenties and I was pretty high up in elevation, archery elk hunting. I can remember that it was very dark after being cooked, I chunked it up and just fried it, almost looked like steak once cooked. Very tasty, I enjoy grouse quite a bit. Very fine work getting them with a smoothy. I very much want to get a smooth bore and start turkey hunting with one.

Their meat is definitely darker than other grouse. :thumb:

Very interesting indeed! We can only use birdshot for,,,, well, birds. And those darn ruffed grouse are tough enough to hit on the fly with shot much less a ball!

Is that a gun you opened up to 62, or did it come from T/C that way? I dont recall 62 renegade smoothbores.
I changed the barrel of my renegade to a 45, and used the scrap 54 to make a flint canoe gun. Fantastic, carry all day, gun. It has a couple deer, squirrels, a coon, and lots of metal clangers under its belt. Thank you, and keep the stories coming!

Is that a gun you opened up to 62, or did it come from T/C that way? I dont recall 62 renegade smoothbores.
I changed the barrel of my renegade to a 45, and used the scrap 54 to make a flint canoe gun. Fantastic, carry all day, gun. It has a couple deer, squirrels, a coon, and lots of metal clangers under its belt. Thank you, and keep the stories coming!

Green Mountain used to make 15/16" and 1" drop in barrels for T/C Hawkens and Renegades in several calibers from .32 to .62 cal. I had a few others and parted with them. Now I wish I would have picked up more of them when they were available. One of those things you think is always going to be around and then they're gone. I see there are some available on Gunbroker for $550 (barrel only)!

Wow! Those must be good barrels! I bet that62 renegade is nice to carry. I know my canoe gun sure is at 5.75 lbs. Thanks for the response, good hunting to you this season.

Wow! Those must be good barrels! I bet that62 renegade is nice to carry. I know my canoe gun sure is at 5.75 lbs. Thanks for the response, good hunting to you this season.

I had the Green Mountain drop in 1" .32 cal barrel. It was heavy!

Good luck to you as well.

Back