• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

who makes matchlock pistols?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aapch1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there anyone who makes an affordable tantsuzu? Or a middle eastern matchlock pistol? I have about 4 handgonnes, and some mini (1/72 scale)100yrs war cannons, I want some eastern flair in my collection.

Unfortunately, I know of nobody currently offering any functional Japanese or Middle Eastern replicas of any type. :( I believe you'd have to go the custom route for something like that. It's too bad. Both societies uses matchlocks far beyond the time they became obsolete in the western world, so both really knew how to maximize the performance of this type of firearm. 'Twould be nice to see some functional replicas from Loyalist or someone (Loyalist did offer a Japanese carbine in the past, but I don't think it's in their lineup anymore).

There is someone in Queensland who has made a few of these for others at a modest price. May be a bit of a pest to arrange importation though.

Interesting. Thanks for the link. :hatsoff: HERE is more info on the Japanese one in particular. I wonder what these cost?

If you Google "tantsuzu" you will find a video of a guy shooting an original. The Japanese seem to be the only ones to have used matchlock PISTOLS. Most originals I have seen or handled are very decorated and are all different sizes. Some are as small as deringer size. But the one in the video seems a larger, plain, more military looking.
I've always believed the decorated, medium and smaller size pistols were used as a status symbol or a way to signify rank.
There would be no real practical use for a matchlock pistol. Which is probably why there is no evidence or specimen from Europe. Not in paintings, statues, or anything.
I have never seen a sample of a Middle Eastern or East Indian matchlock PISTOL. Although long arms are quite plentiful. That said, just recently, an Indian Torridor matchlock "PISTOL" just surfaced. It is the first, and only one seen by all the collectors I know. Here again, the pistol is really small, only 9 1/4" long. It is in great condition. It's small size makes me think it was used as part of a costume or status symbol. But, it's still great that one did in fact surface. Thought you would like to see photos below.
Good luck on your quest. Rick.

xxxxcccxxxaMedium.png

xxzaMedium.png

Antique17thcenturyIndiantoradormatchlockpistol25cm14mmoMediumMedium.jpg

toradorpistolresizeMedium.jpg

Back