• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New member from California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from Idaho! I have a full scale 1842 Mountain Howitzer. You may want to consider that. At full scale every bit as manageable as a 1/2 scale Napoleon and you would be more welcome at events. The 1842 Mountain Howitzer also goes from the Mexican War to the Indian wars!
Hi James, thanks for the suggestion. I was always concerned about the weight of the full scale cannon and carriage and the ability to transport it to different events and ranges. Hmmm, now you’ve given me something else to think on….I thought I finally had decided on what cannon to buy. 😆

Hello from Idaho! I have a full scale 1842 Mountain Howitzer. You may want to consider that. At full scale every bit as manageable as a 1/2 scale Napoleon and you would be more welcome at events. The 1842 Mountain Howitzer also goes from the Mexican War to the Indian wars!
BTW your cannon is awesome!!!

Angel Range Cannon.jpg

If you are anywhere near Angeles Firing Range (up near JPL and Devil's Gate) they are...or were...a black powder friendly range, and the only place I ever found to buy powder over the counter.

I met my wife there the day a bunch of us were shooting and a group of ladies showed up with this beauty!
They said it belonged to one of their husbands and he didn't know they took it.
We had a BLAST all afternoon (and yes, we were firing Live rounds not just blowing smoke!)

View attachment 249508
If you are anywhere near Angeles Firing Range (up near JPL and Devil's Gate) they are...or were...a black powder friendly range, and the only place I ever found to buy powder over the counter.

I met my wife there the day a bunch of us were shooting and a group of ladies showed up with this beauty!
They said it belonged to one of their husbands and he didn't know they took it.
We had a BLAST all afternoon (and yes, we were firing Live rounds not just blowing smoke!)
Hey Mad L, I almost grew up at Angeles Range, I've been going there on and off since I was 16. That cannon is a beauty! I still hope the range masters are as BP friendly as i recall, they use to allow BP shooting at the far end of the pistol range. A group of ladies showing up with that? I can see why it was love at first sight. 🙂 what a day that must have been for you!

Hey Mad L, I almost grew up at Angeles Range, I've been going there on and off since I was 16. That cannon is a beauty! I still hope the range masters are as BP friendly as i recall, they use to allow BP shooting at the far end of the pistol range. A group of ladies showing up with that? I can see why it was love at first sight. 🙂 what a day that must have been for you!
That photo was 10 or 11 years ago, before the fire that wiped them out.
When they rebuilt it was a little bit more crowded but they still welcomed BP on moth the front ranges but where you see the cannon is now walled off for paper targets.
We haven't been there since we left Cali about 5 years ago.

Hello all,

I'm Mike, I reside in California. I'm very new to muzzleloading and have a keen interest in Civil War era cannons. However, I'm not new to shooting just new to Blackpowder.

I am looking into purchasing an 1841 1/2-scale six-pounder cannon or an 1857 1/2-scale Napolean 12-pounder. Can't make up my mind just yet but leaning towards the six pounder. I will build the carriage myself from plans as this will be my first ML project.

This forum appears to be loaded with many an experienced member with much knowledge and I intend to gleen some useful information here.

Happy to be here and look forward to interacting with you all!

-Mike
Howdy from Arkansas

Latest posts

Back