• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who likes Port wine ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carbon 6

Cannon
Reaction score
Here is a simple recipe to make your own on the cheap.

Easy Port Wine Recipe.

Wine 2 parts ( I used a cheap Merlot from Aldis )
Simple syrup 1 part
Brandy 1 part (I used cheap Brandy)
Mix.
Tastes very good.

Sounds good to me. My wife loves the stuff and I just like it. Thanks for the idea. Would Caro syrup work for the simple syrup?

If you take the port from above and mix it 50/50 with Canada Dry Ginger Ale and put it on the rocks you are guaranteed your wife will love it.

Would Caro syrup work for the simple syrup?

Why? simple syrup is easy to make.
Equal parts sugar and water bring to a simmer until dissolved and clear. Store in the fridge

Humming bird food is the same only 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

Love port, particularly tawny port. That’s an interesting recipe , but I’m more likely to have a bottle of port in the house than I am brandy or cheap merlot. Lately though, I’ve been starting to explore bourbons and have found a few that I think so taste like gasoline!

Love port, particularly tawny port. That’s an interesting recipe , but I’m more likely to have a bottle of port in the house than I am brandy or cheap merlot. Lately though, I’ve been starting to explore bourbons and have found a few that I think so taste like gasoline!

I'm an equal opportunity drinker, live right in the heart of the American Whiskey belt, and still prefer Scot's Whisky to Bourbon.

Here is a simple recipe to make your own on the cheap.

Easy Port Wine Recipe.

Wine 2 parts ( I used a cheap Merlot from Aldis )
Simple syrup 1 part
Brandy 1 part (I used cheap Brandy)
Mix.
Tastes very good.

MR BEAN.JPG

Actually a lot could be said for drinking a cheap, imitation of the expensive stuff. Apparently imitation wines were often sold in the colonies.
I have a recipe for an imitation Malaga Sherry..., the imitation is a raisin wine...

LD

Actually a lot could be said for drinking a cheap, imitation of the expensive stuff. Apparently imitation wines were often sold in the colonies.
I have a recipe for an imitation Malaga Sherry..., the imitation is a raisin wine...

LD

I've made the port recipe twice now, once with winking owl merlot from Aldis, and once with Yellow tail shiraz. The cheap merlot was better as it allowed the flavors of the brandy to shine through better.

Humming bird food is the same only 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.

Oddly enough, while I've never had port I did once drink some hummingbird nectar my grandma had in her fridge when I was very young. I just thought it was kool aid or something. When she walked in and asked why I was drinking the birds' food, I freaked out. It took her some time to calm me down and convince me it was just sugar, water, and coloring and that I wasn't going to die from it. 😄

Funnily enough, I have just decanted my last bottle of decent port. Smith and Woodhouse crusted port 1978 which I have had from new. I looked it up, it would cost £120 to replace so I will just have Ruby from now on. The cork was a problem, I should have used port tongs but I don't have any - you heat them up to red heat, apply them to the neck of the bottle take them off and apply a cold wet cloth. This breaks the neck off with the cork inside.
The port is excellent, I shall enjoy it while it lasts.

On the subject of port I was always told that it was not worth decanting rubies. I beg to disagree, leave the bottle undisturbed (on its side) for a year or two and you will be amazed at the crud that is deposited.

Last edited:
I’m don’t much care for sweet wine, historically this would have been very popular.
The only gift I’ve ever ‘regifted’ was a bottle of a very fine port from my daughter. I had had some a few weeks before at her house and she was very proud of it. I made polite comments about it, she thought I really liked it and so at my birthday gave me a bottle.
I passed it on to my dad who loved it.... wouldn’t let my mother have more then a taste.

I am a very heavy wine drinker … a small glass every three months or so. Open a bottle and two months later throw the bottom 2/3 in the sink. :cool: Polecat

All of this talk about wine's reminds me of a quote I heard years ago:

"Tokay's OK but Muscatel's swell"

:ghostly: 🤣 :)

Actually, I like a dry wine. Burgundy or Chardonnay usually fits my liking.

Back