• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who knows eachother here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know 2 personally , and have met and correspond with another from time to time. Though from reading posts I do suspect more are in my general area here in central Pa.

I see some regional trends. When I lived in another State there were a few public ranges and public hunting and camping. The surrounding area was pretty congested. In that place people seemed more willing to meet up at the public places to share a day of activity. In another State, it was less so. In Texas, there are hardly any public hunting spots, mostly private ranges and people can be quite spread out. I've not gotten together with anyone, even though I can name 2 forum members within 15 minutes of me. Not opposed to getting together.... just doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in this area....

are you in Texas now?
if so, then which region?

Here you go,
View attachment 101867
I turned that image for you.
First gun I built was a full stock Flint lock Hawken. Since in 1976 we knew that’s what every MM carried😊.
I’m not really in to Hawkens but they sure are pretty. And when I see a gun like yours I start looking at Track of the wolf and thinking
Sort of like other grey beards want their first car back

Nope, don't think I have ever met any of you strangers. I might of in passing, been to a few west coast Rendezvous but most are usually too far for me to reach on a regular basis. I do know several who call themselves "muzzleloader enthusiasts" but when asked if they ever put a live ball down the barrel they become 'deer in the headlights' and walk away :dunno:

Oh well, but the few folk I have met at Rendezvous have always been good decent folk.

There are three fellers on this forum I would like to meet: BPMS, Bob McBride and Britsmoothy. Only one of those fellers lives in Tennessee. The other two live in foreign countries.😂

Sorry folks, I've been meaning to get back to this for a couple of days.
I had wanted to wait until responses slowed own or stopped,,,, that was a couple days ago.

Some thoughts regarding why I asked and on your responses.

Just a question I have been pondering lately, purely out of curiosity, born of some of the replies to topics in the, "Beyond the Great Divide," section.

Overall, at 1st glance it seems there are quite a few members that know some other forum member in some small way. A few who even have made the acquaintance of several,,, usually through shoots or other events.

However, when compared to our overall numbers of members, even adjusting for those who rarely of ever post, most of us have never met another member, or, if we have met, haven't maintained a steady friendship on some level.
Again, not surprising.

A few have mentioned the modern trend of how impersonal the world has become due to technology and such.
And generally I agree.
Yet, here we are. Many of use converse in some way, on some level, almost everyday. We we wish eachother well on hunts or in endeavors regarding topic related projects. When problems arise with those projects many are quick to "help."
Yes, I am aware that some are not sincere, maybe just being polite, some are just blowing hard and stroking their own egos. But, I like to think that these are not the majority, that most who jump in with advice, have the best intentions.

And, to the impetus behind my o.p.
Look at the posts in "Beyond the Great Divide," how many of us post sincere condolences to someone we have neveret over the loss of someone else we have neveret,,,,,
look at the outpouring of comments and well wishes when we lost Zonie....
Look back over a year to most of the responses to my post about getting Covid.
For an increasingly impersonal society, for an internet forum group where the majority of us have never met,,,, there are a lot of positive, encouraging, comforting, replies to eachother.
We have our differences, we take our digs at eachother now and then, we disagree (often sometimes with certain people), but, overall, by using this technology, that many of us (myself included) are not fully comfortable with, that many feel is increasing the gap between people,,, in some ways we are less far apart.
Maybe?
Just a thought....
I'm sure some disagree,,,,
I'd still let them buy me a drink.

Very thoughtful comment and discussion. I am very reclusive and a bit of a hermit by nature. Partially due to my upbringing, I suppose… I know many people say things like that but I really mean it. Always been a loner and really don’t like the modern world that much. I find most people out in public to be self-centered, stupid, way too irritating to be around, or some combination of all of the above. But not you people. I think we here share many common interests. I am sure I am not the only member of this forum that doesn’t really click with modern society. I like a simpler life and self sufficiency is very important to me. Folks here mostly unite around one common thread and that is the love of all things black powder. This tends to lean us more toward other interests we all share in common. Sure, there will be a jerk posting shitty comments from time to time but, for the most part, I think most of the regular posters here are sincere and well meaning to the group. Generally decent people.

I don’t do any social media. This is as close as I get, but I do enjoy this forum and many of the discussions. Been pretty inactive myself for the past year due to a bad health situation, but that is about over (with full recovery) so you may have noticed a pickup in my activity over the last month or so. Glad to be back in the swing and getting caught up on and participating in the discussions I missed has been nice. I have never knowingly met any other forum members here. I do many gun shows and craft shows around Tennessee so maybe our paths have crossed, but up until now we will never know.

As for taking digs and disagreeing with one another, that is just good debate most of the time. That is what friends and family do but, at the end of the day, I think very few folks here hold any ill will toward the others. I would be very open to meeting other members as these seem to be my kind of people and doing some shooting or learning more about their experiences and interests in the outdoors would be nice. If time ever allowed. If you want to know more about me just dig out your Jan/Feb 2019 copy of Backwoodsman magazine and flip to a four page article about a man and his wife called “Left Turn”. I’m that guy… Thanks for posting this discussion. Many of the comments have been very interesting.

Tim

Always been a loner and really don’t like the modern world that much. I find most people out in public to be self-centered, stupid, way too irritating to be around, or some combination of all of the above.
I am sure I am not the only member of this forum that doesn’t really click with modern society.
Man, you hit the nail on the head here Tim. Thank you.

Back