• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Who can relate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bench got so bad that I gave it and the shop a complete cleaning and vowed to never let it get so bad again.

trashy work bench.jpg

I got it looking like this;

shop clean up complete 002.JPG

And the shop;

shop clean up complete 001.JPG

I never let it get as bad as it was but it doesn't stay perfectly clean either, it is in the middle of the road phase now with a pick-up and put-up session every couple of weeks.

I've gotten to be way neater as I aged. I do way more carving than gun building these days so when the carving part is done I vacuum up, sharpen the tools, and put them away. Then I move to the painting part of the bench. My tools are not super neat but I know where everything is and it's hung up or in a drawer. This is my newest pattern maker's vice and stand.
20240224_145925.jpg

I thought I was the only one with a cluttered work area. I'm usually pretty neatly organized, but when I'm in the middle of working on a project, it's clutter city until the project is completed. My current matchlock build, is all over the work room.

You should see my garage right now. I'm also in the middle of restoring a farmall cub tractor. It's split in half due to replacement of a clutch shaft. Tools everywhere. Parts scattered all over the place, etc.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago this was a well organized work bench but after several gun projects and accessory projects it is total chaos.
I blame it on gremlins but I gaurentee they won't clean it up.😉
My work area gets like that periodically too. Every once in a while, I stop, reset, put stuff back where it belongs, throw away the trash, wipe off my counters and begin again. This is my main work area, immediately after a reset.

Attachments

• w 8.jpg
    w 8.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My bench got so bad that I gave it and the shop a complete cleaning and vowed to never let it get so bad again.

View attachment 299394

I got it looking like this;

View attachment 299395

And the shop;

View attachment 299396

I never let it get as bad as it was but it doesn't stay perfectly clean either, it is in the middle of the road phase now with a pick-up and put-up session every couple of weeks.
We should pitch in and get this poor soul the counseling he needs. So much wasted space! Probably done Christmas shopping in Nov too?

Last edited:
My work area gets like that periodically too. Every once in a while, I stop, reset, put stuff back where it belongs, throw away the trash, wipe off my counters and begin again. This is my main work area, immediately after a reset.
20 Min at my place, it would look like my below example of how a shop bench was meant to be.

Gentlemen, this is what a used garage bench should look like. NOT. Exactly why I spent the extra cash to have my Kibler done in the white. It would have taken longer to clean up and prepare for the build than the build. Add that to the cost of the few tools I would need to buy (twice) and I came out ahead. I have MANY duplicate tools. Harbor Freight is but 3/4 mile away and much faster than looking for one of the other 4-5 saws, hammers, what have you than just getting it. I promise to clean this up in the spring. Just wanted to show you guys you have all lost the battle of the benches to AZMNTMAN.

Attachments

• PXL_20240301_000429408.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240301_000429408.MP.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240301_000436242.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240301_000436242.MP.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Frequently , I have to stop and look for the little box , where I've thrown a disassembled lock , sometimes mixed in w/ other little boxes of manure someone brings in , and wants me to fix. Haven't lost too much stuff yet , just keep trying to stay ahead of the flow. It's laughable most of the time.

I struggle to avoid dropping anything cause it doesn't usually get found for a couple months...or more!

I have parts for four builds and finally had to sort them into big zip lock bags and store them away from the bench.

Gentlemen, this is what a used garage bench should look like. NOT. Exactly why I spent the extra cash to have my Kibler done in the white. It would have taken longer to clean up and prepare for the build than the build. Add that to the cost of the few tools I would need to buy (twice) and I came out ahead. I have MANY duplicate tools. Harbor Freight is but 3/4 mile away and much faster than looking for one of the other 4-5 saws, hammers, what have you than just getting it. I promise to clean this up in the spring. Just wanted to show you guys you have all lost the battle of the benches to AZMNTMAN.
did you get the papers I sent

I struggle to avoid dropping anything cause it doesn't usually get found for a couple months...or more!

I have parts for four builds and finally had to sort them into big zip lock bags and store them away from the bench.
I'm still searching for that tiny little metric screw that's on the inside of a CVA Derringer lock that bounced off my bench 12 years ago, when it happened I spent 2 days with a broom and magnet doing an archeological dig and then again when we moved, the dang shopped just swallowed it whole! I have retapped the hole and used a standard screw many years ago and sold the pistol I still see it and the new owner a few times each year at a rondy derringer shoot, it's just the fact of the matter finding that screw!

Last edited:
Back