• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Whitworths

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleener

50 Cal.
Reaction score
A few months ago there was a great discussion on Whitworth rifles.

I knew I had some pictures, but could not find them at the time. Tonight I found them.

In 2012 at the Oak Ridge TN long range ML match hosted by Rick Weber there was a display of Whitworths.

Here are some pictures.

Enjoy

Fleener

In order to keep this topic here in the Percussion section of the forum I'll ask, have you shot the gun?

If you have, what sort of accuracy did you get?

(The Percussion, Flintlock, Smoothbore etc sections of the forum are here to primarily discuss shooting.
Posts that are primarily photos should be placed in the Photo section.)

Yes we will be leaving next tuesday to head to Oakridge for the match.

Yes, there should be some more Whitworths there to see if all goes well. They of coarse are not nearly as nice as a Rigby.

Yes, I have shot one of those rifles, accuracy is good. A good original rifle is as good as any rifles made today IMO.

fleener

Should be good opportunity to collect more data and for Tom to get some good pictures. Thanks for sharing, I particularly like the accessories. Interesting that most rifle on display appear to be match rifles rather than military. Have fun at Oak Ridge.

David

Love the .75 caliber anti-tank round. :rotf: [/quote]
Correction! Anti-Wagon round.
That beast would open a wagon side to side or front to back. Cheesh!
Awesome pictures.
Anybody who appreciates a good shooting muzzleloader must shoot a Whitworth at least once, in their shooting career.
They are amazing, so say the least.
Fred

Smokey Plainsman said:
That .75 cal explosive round is truly crazy!! Who know they had anti-material rifles in the 19th century?

The first time I visited the Springfield Armory NPS in Springfield, MA in 1984 - I was in for quite a surprise on that.

Springfield got all the Arms that were captured along with President Jefferson Davis. While I was looking the over from a distance, I thought, "Gee, I wonder why President Davis' party had an India/African sporting rifle with them?!"

When I asked the Curator, he smiled and went and brought out an original explosive round for it to show me. More in the link below: http://ww3.rediscov.com/springar/V...DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=14215,DATABASE=14386967,

Back to Whitworth Rifles, I was surprised how accurate the round "minie' type" bullets the South used in them, considering the hexagonal bore.
Gus

Last edited by a moderator:
Gus, I owned a Navy Arms Parker-Hale Whitworth 20-some years ago. It came with the clamshell swage block that you used to squeeze a round bullet to hexagonal in a bench vise. I quit using it after I could tell no difference in accuracy between the hex bullets and a conical the rifle liked.

Latest posts

Back