• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question for the Percussion hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I only owned one perussion rifle and its an H&A Underhammer .45 cal that I just sold about a week ago. That being said all my ML's are Flint and only two are rifles. I've always used PRBs and never Minié Balls or modern ammo types. Recently Ive had an urge in my mind to buy a percussion rifle. Specifically I am trying to choose between about 4. This being either an Original P53 Enfield, 1842 (Rifled) or 1861 Springfield, Whitworth or a Jaeger Rifle. Im not a big fan of the repro Enfields even though Parker Hale is good. The rifled 1842 or 1861 Springfields can be repros as Ive heard they are good. The Whitworth of course will be a repro and the Jaeger as well doesnt matter. Ive hunted with a Brown Bess so length and weight dont matter to me lol. These will be Deer hunting rifles on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I have noticed on my Snider conversion Enfield that at 50 yards she hits a few inches high. If anyone on this forum has hunted with a Muzzleloading Enfield rifle have they experienced high shots before 100 yards ? My shots on my converted Enfield land on the centerline of my paper target just high. Ive seen a lot of people talk good about the Whitworth too but I hear they are pricey to get into after purchase. The Springfields can be Traditions or Pedersoli repro but id like some input on them if people have hunted with them. I have purchased MLs in the past and thought they would make great hunting rifles until they werent. So id like to get some input from other forum members on there personal experiences and opinions/ thoughts. Here lately Ive been answering questions so it feels wierd to be asking them again for a change. Thanks to all who reply like always and I will be quickly replying to all to clarify anything my post leaves out.

I haven't personally had an experience with anything Enfield related. The Whitworth's are quite expensive, and you probably need to buy a bullet mold due to the odd diameter and shape. The Springfield wouldn't be bad, although I think it would come down to your preference between PRB or a Minié ball. I've heard the Jaegers are pretty dang accurate by some others on the forum. The Jaegers (at least by Pedersoli) have a 29"-34 1/2" barrel depending on which model you get. Personally if I were you, I would probably get the Jaeger.

Definitely going to watch this thread. My local shop just got in a Traditions .69 caliber Springfield 1842 Rifle and a farmer whose tractors I work on has an orignial P53 3 Band Enfield he said he might part with. I also like the look of the Whitworth rifles( basically a P53).

Your just asking that question says you are not spending enough time at the range. You cannot zero a rifle with conversation.
I've seen many of your replies to posts on here before. You are a very negative person when it comes to people's posts. Why does it matter to you who spends what time at the range. Clearly it appears Smoothbore is asking wether or not anyone has experienced his problem with his conversion rifle on the original muzzleloading rifle. Usually I dont correct people on their negativity but since I had this thread marked to watch I figured that I dont want to keep seeing this kind of response pop up in this thread.

Your just asking that question says you are not spending enough time at the range. You cannot zero a rifle with conversation.
Quite the opposite with my Snider conversion enfield rifle I have experimented with 5 different ball sizes and powder loads to give ne great accuracy at up to 280 yards. Ive never gone to 300 yards as I live on a farm and work a farm which leaves me no time to keep casting lead balls, cleaning brass cases and shooting a paper target. I asked my question as to wether or not people have experienced the 100 yard below high shots with the original Muzzleloadin Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle. My Snider shoots high because the sights are set at 100 yards at its lowest setting, however the sights are not original and belong to a Mark III Snider and thus was adjusted for a Mark III Snider not a Mark II that is essentially a concerted P53 mine being an 1857. I have never handled or owned a P53 Rifle that is an original Muzzleloader. How could I go to the range with a rifle I do not own. Lastly my apologies to all forum memebers who read this post and see my excessive mentioning of an unmentionable rifle.

I've seen many of your replies to posts on here before. You are a very negative person when it comes to people's posts. Why does it matter to you who spends what time at the range. Clearly it appears Smoothbore is asking wether or not anyone has experienced his problem with his conversion rifle on the original muzzleloading rifle. Usually I dont correct people on their negativity but since I had this thread marked to watch I figured that I dont want to keep seeing this kind of response pop up in this thread.
There is no need to defend me, although I thank you for veiwing this thread. He has commented negatively on my replies before and of that of another forum member I know. All on a matter which has been put to rest a while ago. People comment negatively it is the internet. Let them it is fine, since you're a new member I wouldnt go around busting on people's negative posts towards others as you will not have them as friends in the future. Thanks all the same best of luck with your rifle search as well.

There is no need to defend me, although I thank you for veiwing this thread. He has commented negatively on my replies before and of that of another forum member I know. All on a matter which has been put to rest a while ago. People comment negatively it is the internet. Let them it is fine, since you're a new member I wouldnt go around busting on people's negative posts towards others as you will not have them as friends in the future. Thanks all the same best of luck with your rifle search as well.
I see you have a point. I just can't see why someone can justify being an a$$. Why couldn't the comment just be "Maybe its just your rifle" or " Look at your sight settings". Even better it could've answered your question. I have only been a forum member for a little under a month and I've so many members like him comment so much negative stuff that it makes me sick. Just scoff at it and scroll dont post that smut ya know. It truly isnt that hard to be a decent human being we are all over the age of 18 years old I hope.

Well I actively shoot 3 different repro rifled muskets. A Pedersoli 1861, and a P53 and P58 British made Parker-Hales. The lowest sight setting is one hundred yards. When I shoot a load that is elevation correct for 100 yds, at 50 yards the elevation is approx 8" high.

I only owned one perussion rifle and its an H&A Underhammer .45 cal that I just sold about a week ago. That being said all my ML's are Flint and only two are rifles. I've always used PRBs and never Minié Balls or modern ammo types. Recently Ive had an urge in my mind to buy a percussion rifle. Specifically I am trying to choose between about 4. This being either an Original P53 Enfield, 1842 (Rifled) or 1861 Springfield, Whitworth or a Jaeger Rifle. Im not a big fan of the repro Enfields even though Parker Hale is good. The rifled 1842 or 1861 Springfields can be repros as Ive heard they are good. The Whitworth of course will be a repro and the Jaeger as well doesnt matter. Ive hunted with a Brown Bess so length and weight dont matter to me lol. These will be Deer hunting rifles on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I have noticed on my Snider conversion Enfield that at 50 yards she hits a few inches high. If anyone on this forum has hunted with a Muzzleloading Enfield rifle have they experienced high shots before 100 yards ? My shots on my converted Enfield land on the centerline of my paper target just high. Ive seen a lot of people talk good about the Whitworth too but I hear they are pricey to get into after purchase. The Springfields can be Traditions or Pedersoli repro but id like some input on them if people have hunted with them. I have purchased MLs in the past and thought they would make great hunting rifles until they werent. So id like to get some input from other forum members on there personal experiences and opinions/ thoughts. Here lately Ive been answering questions so it feels wierd to be asking them again for a change. Thanks to all who reply like always and I will be quickly replying to all to clarify anything my post leaves out.

I own an 1861 Springfield but I would not hunt deer with it because, the minnie ball will just go through the deer without expanding. Kind of like shooting deer with match bullets instead of game bullets. I also shoot .530 patched round balls. These flatten like a quarter upon impact with a deer! I have killed many deer with them. The last thing that I want to happen is for me to hit a deer that I can't find! Been there, done that! and I don't ever want it to happen again! I am just as deadly with my round ball guns as I am with a modern rifle with iron sights, within 100 yards. Shot placement is the most important thing with deer hunting! As long as I have a tree to lean on, I can hit him in the heart. I also had an incredably deadly load with a .50 cal mtn rifle with a round ball barrel, but it shoots a 385 gr hollow point minnie ball. The company is no longer in business, and when I switched to hunting with round balls, they worked so well that I will stick with them. Good luck on your deer hunt!

I don't have a P53 Enfield but have the two band P58 I think it is. It shoots really high at 25 yards, the only distance I've shot it at so far. Both minie balls and PRB's.I wouldn't hunt with this rifle due to the high shooting, and the weight. It's really heavy. A Euroarms Enfield .58 caliber.

I shot a Parker Hale Withworth in the 80s, had a chance to buy it for $800. Passed it by.
I now have a rotary boot machine to kick my butt with, every time I think I could have had one.

I only have one rifle from that time period, the US M1841 "Mississippi" rifle. Like the other battle rifles used back then it also shoots high. What I did was to file down the rear sight. It still shoots a little high at 50 yards (4" + or -) but have had no problem with it on deer. Mine is a .54 and it hits hard! It is also exreemely accurate with prb, the only thing I've ever used. This gun was not on your list so just consider this post as FYI only.

I don’t think Rifleman was being rude. The sighting system of a military rifle needs some playing with to get to work. And that can only be done via practice
I’m of the opinion that conicals don’t add much to ml in modern hunting situations. So my vote would be for the jagars. But that’s just ‘what I’d do if’n it were me.
Looks, comfort, all count. And count as much as how well it works

Back