• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which way to go with this lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can't put it in the Smoothbore section.
Can't put it in the Traditional Percussion handguns section.
Can't put it in the Traditional Flintlock handguns section.

Heck, let's do all of em.
I'll just shoot some pics out there for ya's but what I'm trying to figure out is what type, style or make is this mishmash lock I have here.
Obliviously it a Japan (?) Serial 1809, only other mark is 62 under the barrel. Smoothbore, 69 (?) cal and I might try to redo the lock as it should be. Maybe not, don't know.
20190815_140944 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 20190815_135948 (2).jpg
    20190815_135948 (2).jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 20190815_140035 (2).jpg
    20190815_140035 (2).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 20190815_140233.jpg
    20190815_140233.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 140
Mine is on a rifle made in the 1970's. It used an L&R Manton Lock to hold the percussion striker. Maker unknown.

L&R is very good about marking their lock with a stamp internal on the lock plate. That's not an L&R Manton.

Bought an L&R Manton flint lock to have both the percussion lock and a flint lock.

It looks like a flintlock that someone decided to modify into a percussion lock. Whoever did it didn't get around to replacing the cock with a hammer but it does look like they removed the frizzen and whacked off the end of the pan..
Looks like they didn't get around to finishing the drum that's screwed into the barrel.

Just looking at it, that drum is too small in diameter for the length of the hole needed to accommodate the threads on a standard nipple. That's the reason percussion drums are about 1/2" in diameter or larger.
Of course, if the drum is that big in diameter the pan area of the lock will need to be modified to allow it to fit the lock. That fit on a side drum percussion to the lock is important because the lock plate or old pan must contact the underside of the drum for support. If the drum is not supported, the impact of the hammer hitting the cap and nipple can shear off it's threads.

I agree with Zonie, it was a flintlock that is partway through being converted to percussion. Still needs a lot of work, hammer needs replaced, needs a proper drum and the lock will need to be fitted to the drum.

I agree with Zonie, it was a flintlock that is partway through being converted to percussion. Still needs a lot of work, hammer needs replaced, needs a proper drum and the lock will need to be fitted to the drum.

Agreed..
Although I have seen original conversions that simply lopped off the pan, and filed it for the drum, and then used a piece of steel or lead alloy in the cock-jaws to set off the cap..., instead of installing a new hammer. These were done on muskets, though, and not pistols.

LD

The lock conversion is complete. The steel block in the jaws smacks on the primer on the nipple. Sprays cap fragments everywhere unless it has a recessed nose.

Back