• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which rifled musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've caught the Civil War reenacting bug, and now its time for me to get a musket. These guns seem to be alot different than the Revwar flintlocks! Can someone give me an opinion as to which rifled musket to get? The unit criterion is any three banded musket. However, i've narrowed it down to either a '42 Springfield Smoothie (what our unit had, but few members use :redface: ), an Enfield, or a '61 Springfield. I personally like the '61 the best, but have heard from a few sources that it has a high tendency to misfire. Can anyone help me out and give me their opinion on what works best? Thanks!

Assuming that it is strictly a re-enactment group and not a North/South Skirmish Association Group, I would go with the smoothie for ease of cleaning. I am a little surprised to hear that your unit allows so much leeway in choice of muskets, though.

Thanks for the tip. I was also surprised when I heard I had a choice of three different muskets. I have decided not to go for the '42 though, on the grounds that if I ever wanted to change units they may not allow it. Thanks!

Although I'm not a member of any of the re-enacting groups, I have read that some of them are real sticklers for permitting only the types of guns which the units were documented to carry.

That said, the 1842 smoothbore was a popular gun with some people during that war.
Buck and ball was very effective in close distance engagements.

Not owning one, I can't speak about the 1861 Springfield but I can say that if you can find an older Parker Hale Enfield for a reasonable price, buy it. :)

Does anyone know anything about the Middlesex Village Trading Co. Enfield musket? Its a smoothbore, but I can't imagine that would matter, given that i'm just firing blanks through it.

I shoot real bullets out of my 61 Springfield (Armysport) with the N-SSA. After removing a fair amout of wood with my trusty electric sander. It weighs and feels very close to an origional. Reinacting is fun but team shooting in skirmish line formation is funner. At the comand "fire" a huge cloud of somke, and seeing the targets go to peices is awsome. The currage of our forefathers to stand up on there hind legs like real men just gives me the willies. I am a Viet-Nam vet and know from experence what it feels like to be shot at. I dont think I coud do what they did! On the otherhand there are very few smoothbores represented in reinacting and all early battles had troops useing them.

Thanks fort he insight Kenny. I can't thank you enough for your service to the US! :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :hatsoff: :bow:

Hey Hangfeyer,
I have been re-enacting War Between The States for over ten years. I have had some of the best times of my life and met a lot of wonderful people. We portrayed both sides and galvanized a lot of times. We had guys with all three of the rifles that you mentioned. I like the lines and fell of the 61 but you are right, they are known to mis-fire more. The smoothbore saw a lot of action but are not as common in todays units. I personally used a 3 band Enfield by Euroarms. It has been a good rifle and has served me well. The Parker Hales are probably more sought after but as far as the Italian guns go I have been happy with mine. Good luck in your choice.

I'd vote for the '42 smoothbore. Lot of smoothie's came from Texas and other Southern states...truth be told, a few Northern states too. Irish Brigade got them so they'd rely on cold steel and not waste their time shooting. Wisconsin regiment even put a "buck & ball" on top of their Gettysburg memorial. Many of the Southern states carried converted, and un-converted, 1816's due to lack of more modern guns being available early on. Come to think of it, might even vote of the 1816 converted to percussion from Pedersoli! Have fun!! :shocked2:

Your choice should depend on the year/theater you mostly represent. I have attended 'farb feasts' and strict tactical engagements. There are two schools of thought: 1) bring a musket that is common to your unit, the unit you primarily portray, or even theater... as some guns were more common than others, depending on the year and theater of operations 2) bring whatever pretty gun you like (these guys are be-littled as 'farbs' most likely by those in category 1...), but most spectators wouldn't know the difference.

I have found the Enfield 1853 3-bander (made by Euroarms and Armisport) to be most common in my neck of the woods... I think the Armisport model weighs just a tad bit more, if memory serves me... neither of the models is an exact replica, as the gun stock is slightly different than the originals... so most more-serious reenactors replace pieces of the gun to resemble an original (this process is called 'de-farbing') ... and yes, I belong to a more strict group, as we attempt to be as authentic as possible to replicate the conditions our ancestors fought under... so, no modern conveniences of any type, especially in the clothing dept.. don't get me wrong, but we enjoy the laid back atmosphere of a few less-than-authentic/farby events every now and then.. it's really all about going out and trying to honor our ancestors, learning the hardships they endured, and forming friendships of a lifetime.

There is a new book out that compares all the available muskets used by CW reenactors. It is called "The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for historical accuracy-lock,stock and barrel" by Craig Barry. Go to[url] http://www.watchdogreview.com[/url] and email them to find out about it-it looks at all the various Enfields,'55,'61,and'42 Springfields, and discusses what is authentic,and what is not,on each one,and what you can do to improve the authenticity of your musket.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I got hooked on the C.W. reenacting thing I went with the C S Richmond. If I were to do it over I would go with an Enfield (3 band of course) there not as expensive to purchase and are easy to resell.

Whitebear- You read my mind. I'll be ordering myself one in a couple of weeks.

On the Subject of CW muskets. One should always attempt to use the type that the unit they portray was originally issued, if known. Also to be taken into consideration is the time frame. MANY, MANY units changed issued weapons MANY times. Springfields for the first three years of the war was scarce in comparison to others, as production numbers took a while to get up. Theater of operations has to be considered as well, as the '61 Springfield would have been more common in the east than the west (everything west of the Appalacians). Many Northern and Southern units got the Enfield early on, and many would have considered desertion before they gave up the very reliable and ACCURATE Pattern 1853 Type 3. I think about the only real complaints I ever saw of the Enfields were from Ordnance personel who complained about the non-interchangability of the P53 parts since they were in all reality completely hand made by many small craftsmen mainly in Biringham England

I always aimed at having the most accurate "generic" impression that I could when I was reenacting and with that in mind the 3 band Enfield would most certainly take the lead as it can give you the most "mileage".

"American Military Equipage: 1851-1872" has detailed info about all regiments from all states and listings of what they carried, as much as can now be determined. It's two large volumes and a bit expensive. If you decide on a particular unit, post it here and I'll post what's available. Good luck. :winking:

Hey Wes/Tex,

How bout Minnesota and Iowa units?

Those are the closest to my neck o' the woods.

Just for curiosity.

Thanks

Boone

Wes - I'm in the 7th New Jersey Infantry, if you would be so kind as to post some info about them i'd appreciate it. :bow:

In 1861, the first three volunteer regiments were armed by the general U.S. government with M.1842 muskets (.69). The next five regiments, in which the 7th naturally fell, had to be armed by the state of New Jersy receiving converted (rifled and smooth) muskets (also .69), probably versions of the Model 1816 and it's later variants. These original converted muskets were gradually replaced with Springfield rifled muskets from 1862 to 1864. There's no specification whether these were Model '61 or '63.

An interesting note was that the old converted muskets weren't disposed of but made their way into the ranks of the state militia who still used 1,420 flintlock muskets (1816) and 5,241 old smoothbore percussion muskets along with only 3,171 rifled small arms (Springfield or Enfield) in 1865. Many of the later raised regiments had to fight with Austrian and other European guns till Springfields became available. Hope this helps. Wes

I have both 1863 type II and an 1842 Springfield. Both are original. I find the '63 hard to plink with. The '42 is a blast. You can use it as a shotgun or hit a paper plate at 100 yds with a ball. Once you get the hang of it elevation is the only challenge. Less than 75 yds. no problem.
I vote for the '42.

I have a 61 Springfield and can shoot for an hour or more without missfires or cleaning. There are no great secrets to it, just get used to the gun and use real blackpowder and a good lube like the beeswax/caster oil formulas discussed from time to time on this forum.

Back