• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which rifle-smith would you pick?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Friends,

I unexpectedly "came into a little money" and am now considering having a Left-hand, (.54 caliber or larger bore) longrifle (possibly convertible from flintlock to percussion and back), of the "plain vanilla" Southern Mountain-style built.
(I'd prefer a tiger-stripe maple stock & all iron furniture.)

IF you were going to have such a LH rifle built, WHO would you pick to do the job and WHY???

yours, satx

I would pick Niel Fields of Vernal Utah, he has built several hundred rifles since the early 70's and was one of Green River Rifles early builders. I have a couple of his rifles, both tack drivers, and handle beautifully in the field.
He belongs to the contemporary long rifles guild, and is a mighty fine shot, craftsman and fine man to deal with. If you wish to contact him send me a private message.

cheers

Heelerau

Maybe 1500-2,000. = This will be a "using rifle", rather than a "show piece".
(I'm mostly a hunter & IF I do this build, it will make the Africa trip in Aug 2015.)

yours, satx

Thats a big ole'barrel for a TN or southern rifle, might look a bit odd on a long thin rifle but its your gun, your money. Get the one ya want.

I would go with Mike Brooks (Mike Brooks)

Why?

He builds a little more (specific) rifles than the generics you get from TVM, Tip Curtis etc.

He under charges for his work (relative to his talent level compared with others charging significantly more).

His signature rifles/fowlers are the "simpler" style which it sounds like you are looking for.

He works right in your stated price range.

Certainly worth having a look.

I once SAW a graceful-LOOKING percussion long-rifle in .62 caliber, that LOOKED like it was REALLY NICE.
(Had it been for a southpaw, I'd have "rassled him, barefoot or shoes" over it.

I suspect that a BIG-bore mountain rifle of .54 caliber or larger takes an ARTIST to "look & point well".

yours, satx

Unless Tip Curtis has a lot more rifles than he had in Phoenix I would press on.

My wife and I looked at his rifles and found nothing of interest.

I had $2000 in my pocket and all he wanted to do was go out to eat.

Going to Africa I would be looking at someone else beside Tip or Matt.

54 or larger I might be considering a Jaeger, Bess, Hawken, or even an English Sporting rifle. The southern style stocks, with their drop, comb style and butt plate style are likely to buck pretty good in large calibre. That and shooting them off the upper arm is not going to leave you in a happy place. Strictly up to you but something to think about.

As far as builders in your price range, Mike Brook's guns I have seen are very nice for the price, and Mike Lange makes a nice for the price shooter, though I have never shot or held one only seen pictures and read accounts by owners.

not all builders are created equal. Some are simply better with an eye for attention to detail.

Does not mean that those that build rifles at 1300 are not a bad build or rifle. just not the same attention to detail.

Fleener

Nothing wrong with Matt/TVM if you want a very generic rifle.

He serves a very specific "niche" in the BP world along with a couple of others. They provide generic rifles that kinda/sorta follow a given school but not a specific builder.

The value in their rifles is if you keep to the most basic packages usually around the 1000 dollar mark give or take a bit you get a more correct, better built rifle than you can pick up at Cabela's.

They produce a very good "semi production" rifle.

If you want something fancier they can/will do it, at a significant premium (it will add up fast), but that is not their "bread/butter" rifles and they are only "adding on" to the basic choices.

So I would suggest that if you want to spend a little more OR you are looking for a slightly more specific rifle that you use a builder that builds something other than clones of a few different patterns.

If you are going to drop 2K on a rifle you don't want it to look "exactly" like a 1K rifle that has been "fancied up" a bit.

If you drop 2K on one of Matt's "early Virginia's" it is still going to look like the 500 other early Virginia's he has built except it may have a patchbox and a fancier stock.

If you spend 2K on a Mike Brooks early Virginia it is not going to be exactly like any other rifle out there - it will be "unique".

That's what I see is the "next step up" when you move from builders that basically "assemble a kit" to ones that "build from scratch".

My compliments galamb, that was VERY well said. Probably the most succinct, articulate and lucid explanation I have read to date of the differences between semi mass produced and custom built.

John Bergmann is an excellent rifle smith and has been recognized as such for decades. One of his flint rifles showed up at the last gun show at Giddings, Texas. Only a $4,500 price tag kept it from coming home with me! :wink: :thumbsup:

I'd vote for Ken Netting or Mike Brooks. Both guys build a fine rifle and are quite reasonable when you consider the amount of work involved in building a rifle. I also like Joe Schell's work too.

Chris Immels work is mighty fine too (also know as Stophel).Curt

I have a rifle made by Jim Parker, a .40 Southern Mountain Rifle. I think his work is superb, Jim is a great guy to work with.

Parkerfirearms

Back