• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Which of these book(s) would you recommend?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m considering ordering one or more of the following resources for a birthday present to myself on the 20th:
Arms and Armor in Colonial America, 1526-1783, Peterson
Firearms in Colonial America: The Impact on History and Technology 1492-1792, Brown
The History of Weapons of the American Revolution, Neumann (1976)
Battle Weapons of the American Revolution, Neumann (2011)
Flintlock and Tomahawk: New England in King Philip's War

I am planning to purchase a pre-flintock long gun for this year’s Xmas present to myself and I’d like to understand more of the history/technology of the firearms as part of my selection/decision process. So my question now is: Which resource(s) should I consider?

To introduce myself, here’s what I just posted in the Welcome forum:
While my user name is CT Yankee and I grew up in Connecticut, I actually live in the Hill Country of central Texas. I have a hundred acres (2000’x2200’) in the middle of nowhere and enjoy many different shooting sports.

After tracing my ancestors back as far as I could go in America (the very beginning, as it turns out) I have begun adding more historical items to my gun collection, to reflect the firearms they owned and used in their lifetimes. The earliest is John Alden of Plymouth, but most of them were part of the Great Migration (1629-35) and were the founders of the first Connecticut settlements: Hartford, Wethersfield, Windsor, and Fort Saybrook. They fought in the Pequot (4); King Philip’s (4); King William’s, George’s and the F&I (7); Revolutionary (11); and the Civil (3) Wars. I’ve already acquired a Springfield ’61 and a Kentucky flintlock and now I’ve set my time machine to the pre-Revolutionary/Early Colonial period. So I’ve joined this forum to learn more about the pre-flintlock firearms and will be seeking your advice and counsel on these firearms, book selections, historical resources, and anything else I don’t know that I don’t know.

Given lead times, I need to start zeroing in on a 1st choice soon. Match? Wheel? Snaphaunce? So many ancestors, so many firearms, so little time! I’ve seen Alden’s wheel lock at the NRA Museum site and I’ve read they found snaphauce parts at his home. Of course, I’d like one of each, but which one first (this year)? That’s a rhetorical question at this point in time and the subject for a later post, once I’ve got my bearings.

Any advice on these or other books would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry CT haven't read any of them. Maybe someone here can tell you how to hook up with all of them online.

Don't recall reading the last but the others are all must haves. They're pretty different books... Peterson is probably readily avialable as a Dover reprint. Some alot easier to flip through and another (one in particular) a weightier read.

As for the guns, well, you'll need a copy of John Alden's Mayflower gun, and eventually many each of all the other types you mention. I look forward to hearing about these folk and your relating to them down this path. Cool stuff. Welcome!

Hey, while you're here...

As going back to the beachhead generation of this nation, let me ask you: would you say it is "unAmerican" not to appreciate being subjected to tearjerk ad campaigns our donations pay for or emotional propaganda?

Thanks for your response. I got Peterson, the later Neumann, and Leach's Flintlocks & Tomahawks, which btw is a very good read on King Philip's War. Very balanced and exciting in its narrative.

After reading all 3, I feel a little more sure of myself in selecting my next 3 to 4 firearms. You will most likely be reading other posts from me concerning the selection of reproduction firearm producers (i.e. Indian vs. others). That's the real reason I'm here. While I don't mean to poke the Tiger, (no pun intended) I do need help. I can't afford to waste any more of my limited budget on erroneous purchases. I read about your recent purchase of the New England Fowler and must admit that it was high on my list for this X-mas. Are you that dissatisfied that you're sorry you bought it?

Yankee, this is connected to other thread. No, I am not disatisfied at ALL.

As a rule of thumb I do not buy India made guns because they are not up to my standards of form, fit and concern about function, but I do make exceptions, and have for many, many, years, usually due to something unique they offered and that I wanted as much as an example as a shooter.

My first was a LLP Bess, the first ones available, as they were essentially impossible to get here otherwise. Sorta still are. Other than this Cookson the prior two before it were a late (arguably fantasy) matchlock pistol and a Rev. War grenade launcher when the large-bell version became available.

Too familiar with India made guns. Glad I have this one, GLAD it is properly tuned -- that's semi-custom to me! Would I compare it to a custom made New England fowler or smoothbore musket? I actually have many of those spanning many generations and... no. Their lightness and balance bring a smile to your face. But... They are also rather shorter. I do like this long arm.

Back