• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

which cap n ball?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putodebabylon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about getting my first cap n ball revolver. I like the features of the 1858 Remington (even though it's not as pretty and fancy as the Colts) so I think I'll go with that. My question is, where should I get it? They tend to vary in price I've noticed and I imagine they vary in quality. I've seen revolvers from traditions and they're pretty diecent quality, and about 20 bucks more than some other places. I don't know if these are made by Uberti or Pietta or whatever. I also want to get an open holster, like the Hickok. Which holster is the best? Thanks everyone.

Fisher

Excellent choice!

The Remington with it's top strap frame design is a stronger design for a cap-n-ball revolver. The sights are crude, but much easier to use than the Colt open frame sights--which use a barrel mounted stud or blade and a notch in the hammer nose.

The Colts are also notorious for having bits or cap fragments falling into the works and if not VERY careful, cocking the gun can cause a couple of small parts to break down inside the frame. It can be a nuisance to buy replacement parts and you will also have to strip the gun completely down to replace them. The Remington basically avoids this with it's different frame design.

I am guessing that you do want the steel-framed version of the Remington. Taken well care of and shot mostly with moderate loads, the gun should out last you and maybe your offspring too. However, the steel framed Remington will tolerate maximum loads better than any cap-n-ball revolver, with maybe the exception of the Ruger Old Army (but since it's not a replica, it is in a class of it's own--besides it costs almost twice what the Remington does!)

No matter where you get your Remington, it will most likely be manufactured by either F.LLI Pietta, or Uberti--BOTH are Italian gun makers who specialize in replicas. In the past, I would have said that the Uberti was better quality, but anymore the Pietta guns are so close that it is a toss-up. You would do fine with either choice.

Midway and Cabelas are two good places to "window shop" on the Internet and compare prices and models. There is just a ton of information that I could set here and write to you, but this ought to get you started a little.

BTW, The proper holster for a Remington is the flap type (left hand) worn backwards on the right side. (Remember how cavalrymen use the saber in their right hand and pistol in their left?) The Hickok holster would look best with an 1851 Navy in it. If you plan to carry the gun (walking or hiking) you want a holster than has positive retention (a strap, or flap) something to keep it secure if you bend over or change position abruptly. Other than that holster choice is a matter of personal preference and taste.

Gotta Go... if you have more questions, let 'em fly.
Either someone else or myself can probably answer you.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

PS You are gonna have a WHOLE LOT OF FUN! once you get that revolver and start poppin' caps and blowin' smoke!

Thanks for the info WV. Yes, I forgot to mention I was planning on getting the steel frame. I don't think Indiana is seceding any time soon anyways. Brass is my old arch enemy from my kentucky flintlock kit. If they're all pretty much the same in the quality, I guess it's a matter of finding the best price. Cabelas has them for $160 plus whatever shipping. Anyone know a place that has them lower? Also, good point about the holster. I would like something that sits low at my side like the wild west type. Not to look fancy, just because that's a natural place to draw.

Cabela's is a good place to buy one from, and they have other holsters with a retention strap for the Remington. You might also be interested in the new model with the
5 1/2" barrel. One thing about Cabela's, if you are not satisfied with it, for any reason, you can return it for a replacement or a refund. Is there a Cabela's store near you? If so, you might check them out. Then you can handle them first to see what you like best. Also you could check out their Bargain Cave.

Well it's looking like cabelas is the best place to get one. Now I need to consider neccessary accessories and whatnot. You can get it with a 'starter kit' for an extra fifty bucks. The kit has 100 balls, nipple wrench, spare nipples, inline capper, flask lube, and black powder solvent. I got bored and calculated that all this stuff bought seperately would be about 75 bucks. Would this be ideal or not? Are there other things I need? Thanks.

I bought the 1858 target model with the adjustable sights from Cabela's and it is a great shooting revolver without doubt. 30 grains of Goex 3f and a .451 roundball with a wad in the middle and this thing at 25 yards will shoot right along side the modern rifles for accuracy any day.

Well, if you don't already have any of the stuff, then the starter Kit may be the way to go. You will also need powder, (Pyrodex P, 3f black, or one of the other subs), and caps, probably #11's. I like to use a Pre-lubed Ox Yoke Wonder Wad between the powder and ball. Not only do they eliminate the need to add grease for lubing over the ball, but also take up some space in the chamber for lighter(usually more accurate) loads.

I thought I should add that this revolver will use #10 caps. I have one and it's great. Happy shooting :m2c:

fisher i have 1 rem 58 i would sell it is a target model i have 2 cilenders plus a 45 long colt conversion( kirst) cilender hand dies and press dies also brass gun is mint privet mesage me we can talk price

Are you going to plink or target shoot ? A colt would be o.k. for plinking put are to hard to work with for serious target work. I have a sile .45 remington in stainless. The trigger is awesom. All replicas that I have seen shoot high. The aim point for most caps is in the 5 ring on the nmlra 25 yard pistol target. You might try looking at the north/south scrimage websites for ideas. Those boys take pistol shooting seriously.

Hello Fisher.Something else you may wish to consider that will endear you to the Remington instead of the Colt design is the safty.If you are lucky to purchase a good replica Colt revolver you will notice a small pin between the cones on the backside of the cylinder.There should be a corresponding notch in the hammer.Often the notch will be there but the pin will be deleted ,presumably as a cost cutting measure.If present, it will allow you to lower the hammer on this pin and safely carry all six chambers loaded.Being hard to add if not present and prone to breakage if it is,one is forced to leave one chamber empty, for safety sake.The 1858 Remington had a slot cut between the cones extending down into, but not through, the raised section of the cylinder,in the centre.The hammer fit nicely into this slot.I have yet to see a Rem come w/ this feature, save originals,however it is very easily reproduced using a hand file or Dremel tool.It is a much more positive lock up.Just something to think about.Cheers.J.A.

I own two reproduction 1858 Remington New Armys. I keep one on the wall displayed beneath my Enfield. The other I shoot. Both were purchased from "Cabela's". Both are very accurate and seem to shoot point of aim at 15 yards. My recipe for accuracy: Hornady .451 round ball over Oxyoke wonder wad (for protection against chainfire) over 20 grains of FFFG = Bullseye. If the Remington was good enough for Buffalo Bill Cody, it's good enough for me.

WV:
Points well taken on the Colt design. I have a Uberti Walker that I shoot a lot, everything you described here about the Colt is true. As far as stripping it down, I am doing that each time a clean anymore, I believe I could put a Walker together blindfolded. One feature I like about the Colt. Once you get the hammer notch rear sight adjusted - lots of filing, you have a serious long range handgun in the Walker. When cocked, the back sight is most of 11" from the front sight, this increased distance between sights equates to increased accuracy at longer ranges. Coupled with a 9" barrel I regularly shoot 4" groups (bench-rest) @ 50 yrds with it. This feature for me makes up for the other design flaws.

I have a neat Uberti Remington Navy, it's about 20 years old but I got it a year or so ago New-In-The-Box from a guy that knew Ubertis daughter...as you can imagine he used to get some real "deals". Just had it stashed away all them years. It's a real jewell. Barrel is about 1" shorter than the normal length.

Anyhow, it has the hammer safety notches in the cylinder.

And boy, is she accurate. 1.5" at 20 yards with Swiss ffg.

Rat

Fisher: Although I'm seeing a lot of testimony about incredible shooting C&B guns, don't be suprised if your new gun (either Colt copy or Remington copy) shoots high.
Almost all of them do, and from what I've read, so did the originals.

When I say high, I'm talking about 6-8 inches high at 25 yards.

Of my 12 replicas, only 3 shoot to the point of aim at 25 yards.

That of course doesn't mean they aren't fun though.
Something really neat about the Boom and big cloud of smoke that no modern pistol can match. :)

Call me a sinner, but I like the 5 1/2" Ruger Old Army in stainless. Neat & the strongest there is. Runner up is Uberti. Good workmanship & metallurgy is pretty sound. I'll take a Colt over a Remington as there's less chance for a percussion cap to lock up the action (in case the spent cap gets loose).

I've always found that the Colt types are more prone to caps hanging up the action. I don't think i have ever had a Remington jam up because of a cap getting in the action. With Colt's i have had a lot of caps get between the hammer and the recoil shield and prevent the hammer from reaching the cap to ignite it.

Hey, Fisher -
Welcome to C&B land. I have a Remington from Cabelas which I've had for about a year, and I've been very happy with it. Accuracy is good, reload quick, and the BP delivers a very soul satisfying bang, flash & stink. The Remington repros are also safer than the Colts if you're going to carry one around loaded.

Another great place to buy holsters is from "Track of the Wolf" (www.trackofthewolf.com) out in Minnesota. I've purchased both a western style and a cavalry holster from them. Good quality, reasonable price.

If you get the western style, don't be surprised when people start asking you where the "bullet loops" on your belt are.

-- Valley Forge

You will be happy with the Remmington. I bought both my Copies from the BIG C and I think their price and the level of customer service is top notch.
Not to steal your thread, this is close to the topic
I just happened to be talking to a cutomer of ours and he mentioned he has an 1851 colt made by/imported by Navy Arms that he has had for 10 years or so, never fired and offered to send it to me and I could just give him what it's worth.
he lives in Ney York City and while they are not illegle, the oppertunity to shot it is of course nill.
Any ideas on what it would be worth?

he has an 1851 colt made by/imported by Navy Arms

Any ideas on what it would be worth?

I would be more than happy to help...

Would that particular gun have a brass frame or steel frame? and is it in .36cal or .44cal? I can give you a price from a couple of 1994 catalog sources -- (from Cabela's and DGW and possibly from another old catalog I have lying around)

Let me know then, OKAY?

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

Back