• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1860 colt army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more caveat , shoot into a 12 O'clock breeze in your face with over ball lubing. You won't be able to see out of your shooting glasses by the end of the second cylinder full and your spotting scope lens will need a degreasing as well.
I knew that if I hung around long enough you would get something right! 😇

Thanks for everyone's input. Just didn't want to go into this blindly and stupidly. It doesn't help either that I know exactly zero people who are into anything black powder where I live lol, so there isn't anyone really to ask or to go with lol.
Is there a shooting range near you that you could join? If so, I'm sure there is an hombre or 2 there that would be more than happy to help if you needed it.

Thanks for everyone's input. Just didn't want to go into this blindly and stupidly. It doesn't help either that I know exactly zero people who are into anything black powder where I live lol, so there isn't anyone really to ask or to go with lol.
I used my 1860 for the July postal match.

Attachments

• IMG_20230731_132308354_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230731_132308354_HDR.jpg
    993.3 KB · Views: 0
It doesn't help either that I know exactly zero people who are into anything black powder where I live lol, so there isn't anyone really to ask or to go with lol.
...I feel your pain stuck out here in Europe. I am considered a quant oddity at my local club. You tube however helps, as does the immense knowledge of the forum members. But - had it a few years and HAVEN'T SHOT IT YET? What fun you've been depriving yourself of! People here seem to use bigger powder loads than I do. I use 20 grains in my Pietta Remington .44, made up in cartridges with 20 grains powder, 15 grains semolina (uncooked...!) as a spacing agent, then of course the ball. 20 grains I find is easily enough to carry your ball to a 25 metre target with accuracy, and I have on occasion used as little as 15 grains, the bare minimum, with only slight noticeable deficit. Of course, accuracy diminishes somewhat using a maximum powder load. The experimentation and making up your own ammo is of course half the fun.

Last edited:
Remember to aim lower at your target. The stock sights are very low since they were sighted in at 75-100 yards. I eventually replaced my stock sights with taller brass ones I made.
Another VERY important task is to clean your gun once you get home. If you let it sit dirty rust will begin to set in in a day or two.

Latest posts

Back