• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to get a percussion cap pistol kit cheap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aapch1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a cheap little plinker for a weekend build with my nephew. Any ideas where to get an affordable one, under $100? My nephew wants to buy it, and have me build it. No specific models come to mind. He got the idea when we went shooting last weekend. He was shooting a 12ga mossberg 500 and a .22 pocket derringer. I just happened to have brought my classic arms new Orleans ace, that I bought for $20 at a flea market, to show him what derringers used to be. We shot some plinker targets,He loved it. His mom said I cant buy him one, he has to use his own money. Which consists of $150, and he wants to buy some linseed oil, wax, gun oil, files, and stain.. woo about $100 is our target price. Let me know

How about another New Orleans Ace? Dixie has the kit for $112.50. That's the cheapest I could find new. I agree your best bet is one of the auction sites or maybe someone here has something they could hook you up with. :idunno:

He'll have to wait a while, but he's decided on either a Kentucky pistol, or classic arms duckfoot kit. His mom, my sister, wont let me pay for anything, being a worry wart as always, she is hoping he won't want to buy any guns once he realizes how much he is actually spending on tools, oils, parts etc. but after shooting the ace, he was amazed that I knew how to build it, and how well it worked, he is 100% on the whole project.

So basically in about a month and a half, we will work on it. Either a duckfoot or a Kentucky: strange kid. But I'm excited.

On a side note, for those who care
We drilled a 6 in piece of steel in. 22 caliber painted it brass, attached it to a stick with a nut as a flash pan, I gave him a bottle of pyrodex, some incense, and took it to the range in the meantime. It shoots awesome with. 22 balls, and 20grs at about 15 meters. It works like a medieval handgonne... only in the shape of an arquebus, with a flash pan. Oh! And its rifled too. This thread may be a little off topic: but I hope this is amusing.

It is kind of rifled.... we put a thread in it with a smaller drill, rotating it as it went down, to make grooves..

Sounds like fun. :hatsoff:

Maybe you guys could build a frankengun out of a duckfoot and a kentucky pistol (a Kenducky?). :haha:

That would be cool. Wish my lathe still worked. We could lathe down the back portion of the Kentucky to fit the barrel attachment for the duckfoot, use it as the center piece. Not sure it would hold.... it would look scary as heck though!

I think we are going to get the Kentucky, then for winter solstice, I'll get him the duckfoot and assemble it. Wouldn't he be surprised?!

We might even buy the Kentucky in parts. Like get the barrel and lock, then make a sea service style stock, with a Prussian trigger guard, and trigger assembly.... maybe next kit. This one we will probably just make and go.

Yay blueing! :doh: gotta love it

Well, I'm hoping for the best for you with any kit made by "Classic Arms". You'll need it.

IMO, they are all a piece of manure although I have heard of a few that got their Ace's and duckfoot pistols to fire.

If you've got time, you might visit a few pawn shops. The old CVA kits sometimes turn up there and even the oldest, crappiest CVA kit will beat the socks off of anything made by Classic Arms.

I had a Navy Arms Confederate six gun(brass frame, identical nearly to the Colt '51 Navy) kit that I bought at K-Mart 30 years ago that I wish I had never traded. Sometimes you think this stuff will be around forever.

Bones

My ace took the whole weekend, and some serious filing and well more filing (inside the barrel, because it was jacked up)to work properly. I replaced my spring with a factory spring... worked Much better afterwoods.

I appreciate the link! It just cut 10 dollars from our expenses :).

Sorry to hear the revolver isn't around any more :( but loss is the lesson of life.

And in an indirect reply, in general... I'll be visiting pawnshops, and even the flea market again to look for kits.

SCRATCH BUILD , not hard to buy $100 worth of a good barrel,breach plug+tang , plank of old wood and a could pieces of steel , underhammers are good , can be made in a weekend with some work and will be good training on all gunsmithing aspects , tempering , hardening , filing , threading , fitting and wood and metal finishing.

Finding a unbuilt CVA pistol kit or even a built CVA pistol and using the parts to build a nicer one could be done for $100 but buying a quality lock and barrel can easily set you back $160 +.

Just the lock will cost around $95. A good barrel will cost at least $30 and more likely $60.
The trigger, sights, trigger guard etc will add to the price.

Seems like I remember having about $200 in parts, including the chunk of curly maple when I built this more than a few years ago and that didn't include the wood and cloth for the box.

CASE1.jpg

nice gun , i like the grip , i mentioned underhammers as they are safe , cheap and easy to make , the barrel can be the only thing you have to buy if you have some materials , a car leaf spring (or slightly thinner high carbon steel ), a peice if wood , and the tang and breach plug can be made from a bolt and peice of plate steel welded or brazed together . the one i made in the link cost me about 3 dollars total for the cutoff barrel and the rest was scrap i had lying around . so a 3 dollar gun is not a big investment and it shoots very well for a small bore muzzleloader

Back