• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where to buy horns ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to make a powder horn and was hoping to get some info. on where would be a good place to get a horn and what to look for.
Thanks, Trinity

I get mine from Moscow Hide & Fur...
[url] http://www.hideandfur.com/[/url]

If you are looking at scrimming, you want a fair amount of white/cream color...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good horns for making into powder horns are getting hard to find. If you are going to buy from Moscow Hide and Fur, Track of the wolf, etc., call them and tell them exactly what you are looking for. Ask about color, right hand or left hand carry, is the horn more flat then round or more round then flat, good for scrimshaw or not, etc. Hopefully the person on the other end of the phone will know something about what might make a good powder horn.

Randy Hedden

Thanks for the tip. I orderd Scott and Cathy Sibley's powder horn book. That and a good horn hopefuly I'll be off to a good start.
Trinity

who has bought horns from moscow hide and fur and how where they or where's a good place to buy then :v .............bob

Bob,

For you I would recommend going to Dixon's to buy a horn. That way you are assured of the size and shape you want.

Old Salt

with my car that won't make it that far it will be kinda hard at this time in my journy in life :rotf: ....i would most diffinatly get one there when i could go there to get the rest of my parts fer my lancaster :v: ..............bob

You might find one in this bunch if you want a raw horn. This is at Dixon's Fair held in July. They have a good selection of polished horns too.
172335680.jpg

I make it to Dixon's about once a month, it's about an hour drive. If you were to call them and describe just what you want in your horn I would be happy to pick it up and mail it to you.

Yup, if you are buying on-line, you need to have someone on the phone at the sellers who knows what they are looking at. I've had good luck with Moscow Hide and Fur, but I have been able to go there in person and handle the horns before purchase.

Back