• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Where do you shoot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our place, 120+/- acres of pecan bottoms on the Brazos. Hunt in the 20 or so acres right along the river(not including the river itself).

Local club.

Lots of other stuff besides a BP range. Skeet,trap, 5 stand, bullseye, practical pits, archery, .22 indoor, 600 yd rifle and a few I probably missed.

BP range is covered and there's a shack with woodstove if it gets really cold.

Another Backyard Guy here :thumbsup: I'm thinking about making a small woods walk area out behind my house along the hill side. :hmm:

I went shooting at a friend's house today. I think I'll go hunt there next year as the deer can be shot off the back porch and I'll definately shoot targets there monthly as his parents welcome it.

It is a 1 hour drive away...

Greg

graybeard said:
I belong to a black powder club with a range about 35 miles away. has benches, covered shooting positions, 25, 50, 100 yard ranges, woods walk, place for shotguns, hawk and knife targets, etc. Costs only $20 a year, plus some work days. About 10 miles from my house is a giant state game area (giant area, not game) where I do a lot of plinking and some hunting. About 140 miles away is a plot of 80 acres with camping trailers. belongs to me and a partner. Lots of deer, grouse, woodcock, rabbit, etc. We spend a lot of time there, much of it with gun in hand. graybeard
This wouldn't be the Allegan sate game are would it, or the Grand Valley Cap n Ballers?

I currently belong to no club, but a few friends and myself take advantage of my property. I have a 100 yard down to 25foot range set up behind my barn. It looks really rough currently but plans are in my head (going to put it down on paper this winter)for an up grade this coming spring. it will include a shooting shed, clear lanes and marked off distances. There may be room for a small woods walk area included. The range id for multiple type gun usage moder back to whatever.

To all you lucky ducks who answered saying that you have a range in your back yard, all I can say is :blah: Some people have all the dang luck. Here in Texas, there is precious little public land and none around here where I can shoot. I have to go to a public range several miles away and pay to shoot. The club where I shoot in matches every month is an hours drive away. Do you hear the whine and green envy in my voice? :(

In The Ten Ring,I shoot in my front yard.Like Poor Private I want to eventually build a Woods Walk.Anybody have any ideas on how to do that?What do you use for targets etc.Any targets or gongs you can make out of recycled junk? Thanks.

When I first came here after getting out of service in "78", as long as it was safe pretty much anything went.

Even though I am in the county (just barely) if you pull a trigger you are more than likely gonna get a visit from the Sheriffs Dept.

Not there fault just some noisy neighbor reporting gun fire and they have to go investigate when a report is made!

It used to be standard to go to a clay pit or gravel pit and do some shooting no more they are all kept locked and you will go to jail if caught in there.

I got a buddy who owns property way up in the county, and when I first got started with my BP craze I spent many a morning up there shooting 3-5 hours at a time.
Last time I mentioned it, he said he had a neighbor that was giving him grief.
Stood there a second and says, "can you be there a first light I will help you burn up some lead"! :rotf: We shoot for a couple of hours that morning. His neighbor drove by at least three of four times and gave us that long stare! :hmm: :rotf:

But seriously the only public range we had around here closed a while back. The state finally went in and reopened and it is better than ever.

Takes about 20 minutes to drive too from my house and really enjoy it since the state took it over. The guy that had the range before wasn't taking care of it.

A lot of his customers that were using it at that time,either didn't know range regulations or didn't care.

This is one thing I really enjoy that the state got involved in! It has given us a place to shoot and a safe environment to do it in. There is nothing I love to do better than to go there and watch someone with one of those new fangled inlines and a scope trying to hit the target.

I will sit down and if I am having a good day it won't be long that they got to come check out my ole relic with open sights. Most days I can still out shoot them with the scopes and what they call a modern day weapon, most day's that is ! :wink:

About 100 yards into the woods behind my house is a 40 foot high creek bank. I have stations at 25, 50 & 75 yards from the bank. 100 yards would have me shooting across one of the wife's horse trails & we don't shoot across trails even if on our own land.

Used to be the backyard and local club. Changes in the economy forced changes in homes. Now it is our private club

Well, I teach the NC concealed carry class, so I already had a small range set up in the backyard so I just made it a bit bigger out to 50 yards. I have plans to knock it back to 150 yards in the spring.

In The Ten Ring said:
So where do you guys shoot? Official gun range? Private club? Your yard? Woods? Rock quarry?

Greg

I shoot with a very exclusive club, the new member waiting is at least 10 years. Guest can come and shoot by personal verbal invitation only. Currently we have 1 member, 1 board member and 1 voting member, all changes must be passed by a majority vote. The club headquarters is located in the middle of farm country so the shoot locations change on a regular basis, there are thousands of acres to choose from. Type of shooting and weaponry is always taken into consideration when the local is chosen. :grin:

private club, Milan Rifle Club. locked and gated, 200,300 and 600 yrd rifle range, indoor pistol/.22lr ranges. multiple outdoor pistol ranges and a 25,50,100 and 185yrd benchrest range. $175/year. and 12 minutes from my house.

used to be I could shoot right in my backyard, but we bought a place last year,and the farmers cow pasture runs right along the property line, which makes for some expensive target practice! :haha:
so now I have to go all the way across the road to shoot! :wink:

Back