• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When does the Gun Stocker become a Gun Builder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash Pan Dan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was having conversation about the GPR kit I’m putting together and one of the gentlemen called me a gun builder to which I took exception and said that at best I’m junior kit assembler. And my next project might be from a parts kit which would make me a gun stocker. So, I was asked, “When and how do you become a gun builder?” To which I had no answer.

What do you all think? Am I trying to put too fine a distinction on something that cannot be so clearly defined?

When you can make every part of the gun; from scratch....
then you are a gun builder...
see Wallace Gusler..... gun builder....

A guy who buys pre cut lumber, pre made windows and doors, pre made toilets and bathtubs and sinks and factory shingles, electrical wiring and pipes and then cuts the lumber and nails it together and installs everything is often called a home builder.

IMO a person who buys various gun parts, does the final stock shaping and installs the various parts can be called a gun builder.

Of course there's always the home builder that creates houses that aren't fit to live in and there are also gun builders who build guns that aren't fit to own. That's why I didn't say the guy would be called a good gun builder.

From a historical stand point, most of the guns built before the Revolution were built around locks and barrels that came from Europe...

Were they stockers or builders???

They were gunsmiths. :wink:

A "gunstocker" would be someone in a large shop who specifically made and inlet gunstocks.

It's all in the "mind of the beholder"....gunsmith, gunbuilder, gunmaker and gun assembler. In broad terms, I could be all or any of these....Fred

When you can design a gun from an idea & get it to look like it should. Cut stock from a blank, & make some or all the pieces, and Definitely when a stranger asks for "One like that" Been at it since 1978 AND still trying to get to that point. Tom

Fair is what 2 people will agree to.

In legal circles, the debate usually isn't over the terms, but over the the agreement to definitions of the terms.

Similar question; When does a boy become a man?

In my opinion there are two classes,gun builders and gun makers. A gun maker is one who is capable of making every part. I guess one could also say there are gun builders and master gun builders.
There is a lot of ego connected with this subject. In my opinion one type is not necessarily more talented than the other. A lot of factors must be considered like economics.
Very few people can make money building every part of a gun. Very few buyers will pay for that kind of product.

Jerry...there you go again....complicating matters because of your unique experiences in building exquisite MLers....but, most of us don't want all those complications. It addles our brains, so we simplify "definitions" and in a sense accept "whatever we're labeled". In the end, it's not what you're called, but what you've built.

Ego.....we've all got some of that...it's what makes the world go round, but once we're so excessively imbued w/ it, we've been "duped" into going down the wrong path...humility is a virtue that "corrects" the wrongful path we've taken......Fred

Like:
there are pilots....and then there are Pilots!
like the ones that can deadstick a 727 on the water, and everyone walk out onto the wings~ :bow:

every profession has it's levels or expertise, and the rewards....but when a person is gifted by God, it shows...then the rest of us just TRY to keep up!
:idunno:

Back