• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Going from wheel weight to pure ML lead. ¿Possible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got 4 six gallon buckets filled with wheel weight that have been melted down into muffin sized ingots.

¿What alchemy or incantation is there to get this wheel weight lead to pure lead?

Do appreciate the help,

There is a formula which I don't have right now.( I'm waiting my turn in a dentist's office.) You can "unharden" wheel weight lead by adding and remelting pure lead but you'll never get it to 100%.And I recall it is not a 50/50 mix.Can anyone help with this?

I used to skim all the dross and alloying elements off before fluxing, hoping to reduce the hardening elements left in the lead, but Ive since read that theres no way to really get them all out, and what you can skim off isnt helping that much because of whats left. Some do separate when first melted, just not all, and the parts you can skim supposedly help the other elements cast better.

Thats the story I got. Im curious if anyone here knows more about it in detail as to the hows and whys.

Last edited:
Got 4 six gallon buckets filled with wheel weight that have been melted down into muffin sized ingots.

¿What alchemy or incantation is there to get this wheel weight lead to pure lead?

Do appreciate the help,
It’s possible, but for six gallon buckets of wheel weights it not going to be worth it. As others have suggest, trade for pure lead, or sell what you have and purchase lead.

It works great for later period projectiles, just not optimal for 1860s and earlier period use.

You may be able to trade it for soft lead to someone needing casting metal for later type use.

It's the modern-day 'hard-cast bullet. No use for anything except using with patches, as it will skid and strip down the barrel of a pistol for sure. The hardening content is usually antimony - draw THAT 'dross' off at your peril.

There is a formula which I don't have right now.( I'm waiting my turn in a dentist's office.) You can "unharden" wheel weight lead by adding and remelting pure lead but you'll never get it to 100%.And I recall it is not a 50/50 mix.Can anyone help with this?
Yes.

Mix it in a ratio of 99.9999 % lead

To

.0001% wheel weights.

Follow me for more pro tips.

You just end up with wheel weight lead and pure lead mixed together. Use wheel weight lead for something appropriate for wheel weight lead.

It would kind of depend on what is the lead going to be used for rifle, smoothbore, pistol, revolver, round ball, conical, mini ball etc?

It will make acceptable round balls, but not ideal roundballs
no good for conicals in muzzleloaders

you can shoot just about any hard spherical object from a ML
some work much better than others, lead being the best (I bet pure gold would work also....)

we had a member here years ago who did a bunch of bench testing with brass and steel ball bearings and he got acceptable groups, and those are a damn sight harder than wheel weights

EDIT To ADD:
I would only put an extra hard ball like a wheel weight round through a smooth bore unless the ball was undersize enough for me to feel comfortable putting it in a rifle with an extra thick patch. Hard ball stuck in your barrel is nothing you want.
Never put them in your revolvers. They will not preform well at all.

Last edited:
Back