• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite PC Camp Supper!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my favorite home and camp foods is a nice slowly cooked pot of Pig hocks and beans with a dutch oven baked stack of cornbread on the side!....Oh yes! A cold Brewski or two with everything!....Man, Oh Man!

The way I do it! In a large cast pot add water to cover 3 fresh or smoked pig hocks. Add salt, black pepper, chopped garlic, bay leaf, 1 medium chopped onion and 1/2 pound Pinto beans and 1/2 pound Navy beans. Cover with lid and simmer over low heat until hock meat is tender and comes off bone. Keep plenty of water on everthing and stir often. Add 1 cup Heinz 57 sauce (I know...not PC!) 10 minutes before serving. Serve with cornbread, butter and honey!

Caution!....Don't sit with your back to the fire that evening!... :rotf:

Getting hungry yet?... :wink:

Rick

I don't know how "PC" this is, but it sure eats good...

I've got a big fry pan, about 18 inches long and 10 inches wide...I fry 4-5 strips of bacon, chop up 4-5 potatoes and 2 onions, salt and pepper and cover with foil about 30 minutes...Cube some backstrap, salt and pepper and throw that in with some Worcestershire sauce, cook another 15 minutes or so and dish out...Add some pork and beans and go to it... :grin:

Buffalo chili in a dutch oven.

Various beans, kidney, black, pinto, etc. Crushed tomatoes, diced onion, garlic. A ham hock for flavor, Bison meat, cubed or ground, bay leaf.
Your favorite seasoning and source of heat, (I like Tabasco) and beer to thin it out. Cook low and slow, even better burried in a pit all day.

As always, corn bread goes great with this, and shreaded cheese on top if you've got it.

Gotta' go...drool is short circuiting the keyboard :shocked2:

I never tried Heinz 57 in beans. It does sound good. I'm going to give it a try. Sitting around the campfire afterwards reminds me of the scene in Blazing Saddles. Yeah, you know the one! :rotf:

Chicken Surprise

Take a whole chicken drop it in a big cast iron pot after you finish the breakfast dishes. Add a chopped up onion or two and some salt then bring it to a boil. Go shooting.

Come back to camp at lunch, clean your guns, fill your horn. Take the chicken out, it should be cool enough to handle. The meat should be well cooked. Take out the bones and drop the meat back in the water. Add rice, or dried beans, carrots, potatoes, turnips or whatever you have in camp. Add some more spices if you think it needs it. Build up the fire and go back to the range.

Come back after a day of shooting. Dinner is ready. Eat, relax, clean your guns, drink a favorite beverage.

Many Klatch

Heinz 57, or A1 sauce is also great on scrambled eggs!

Speaking of eggs, here's another one...not PC, sorry.

Empty a can of stewed tomatoes into a pot on the fire. Get 'em good and bubbling hot. Form a cavity in the top of the tomatoes. Crack open 2 eggs in the cavity and poach them in the tomatoes. Cover with grated cheddar and cook 'till it's gooey!

Great for a hang-over! :thumbsup:

Replace the pig hocks with possum (or porcupine) meat, and you'll have a real winner!

Well, I and some other folks got together tonight and fried up some flounder all crispy and golden brown, then gave some hush puppies the same treatment ... sat down to round our plates out with fish, puppies, stewed 'taters and coleslaw, and washed 'er all down with sweet tea.

We don't care much about politics and correctness hereabouts, but that's how we do it here in Eastern NC (sometimes we'll swap out the fish for pork barbecue) ... and PC or not, we favor homemade banana puddin' or pig-pickin' cake for dessert.

I ain't got favorites, but such fare rates high on Ol' Grizz's plate. :)

Because of our Southwest location, we like to roast a buffalo rump roast over an open fire (on a spit) with fresh tortillas made on the griddle, chili beans, and followed by corn fritters. Also correct with this meal is sopapillas with local honey.

Also correct for the early Taos area was fruit fritters of peaches or cherries. New Mexico wine is a must with this meal.

This meal preparation must be guarded by an evil tempered squaw who is more than willing to amputate the fingers of those who attempt to sneak by and slice off a chunk of buffler before you are ready to eat.

I don't know if this is PC or not, but because of the original time we ate it, I remember and love this dish. Graduation night, after partying hard in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming at someones cabin, we drove down out of the mountains and were really hungry. Typical guys, we stopped and picked up some ground meat and barbecued pork and beans at a mountain store. At a camp ground, we stopped, built a fire and threw the meat in a large cast iron pan, cooked it and then added the beans. While waiting, we had a little "hair of the dog" and then devoured our breakfast. To this day, I still love that dish. Waking up with a hangover, any food we cooked would have gained the same love. I'm sure this could be turned into a PC meal.
:shake: :shake:

Trent,
Even the thought of eating possum makes
me:barf::barf::barf::barf:But to each his own.
snake-eyes :nono:

I guess this old Yankee just has a problem of eat'n a critter that lives on dead animals, looks like a humongous gray rat and smiles at me!...I'll leave them all to Granny Clampet and those that appreciates 'em!.... :barf:

chunk of venison browned in bacon grease in a DO then stewed with root veggies. add cornbread and beans if you have. :thumbsup:

Back