• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vegans in The Camp!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well sort of...,

At the Market Fair over the weekend, we had a couple that are Orthodox, and their Easter this year is NEXT Sunday, so they are still in Lent.

Well Orthodox Lent is pretty heavy...no meat nor fish (shellfish are OK), no oil, no dairy (eggs, butter cheese), no alcohol, so that leaves grains, veggies, and fruit...but really if it wasn't modern times, where would you get fruit or green veggies at this time of year other than dried or pickled?

On the weekend they can have oil and wine.

:shocked2:

So I made them black beans and rice for Friday night supper. Pretty simple and due to time constraints, I cheated a bit.

1½ cups, uncooked white rice, cooked according to directions.

2 Veggie bullion cubes added to water for the rice

In a seperate pot:
3 cans Goya black beans in easy open cans.
Salt, pepper, garlic, and cumin to taste.
(Now given more time it would be better to use dried beans and simmer them several hours.)

When the rice is done and the beans are hot, spoon rice into folks' bowls, and then spoon the beans over the rice to serve. Have a bottle of something like Tabasco standing by for those who want it spicy.

Then for Saturday dinner, Since it was an invite to join a pot-luck dinner at another camp, the husband, Steve, made
Butternut Squash Risotto.
2 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cubed.
Fresh Garlic
Olive oil (Saturday he could use the oil :) )
Two containers Trader Joe Butternut Squash soup.
8 oz. peeled, raw shrimp
4 cups instant rice

So you fry up the squash with the garlic, and add the shrimp. When the shrimp is done, you then, here's the key, add the rice and follow the directions to make the four cups of rice from the rice package BUT you substitute for plain water the Trader Joe's butternut squash soup in an equal amount, plus 1/2 cup. So the rice absorbs the soup instead as it cooks. Once added you move it off the direct heat and allow the rice to cook. When the rice is tender, and most but not all of the liquid is absorbed, it's done.

Since different instant rice vary, try this at home before you do it in a pot or Dutch Oven over the fire.

For my contribution, I did Quick & Easy Apple Crumble, which if you can't find this thread later in the year, is also uploaded to the "desert" section under recipes.

2 cans apple pie filling
1 box instant oatmeal cereal, brown sugar/cinnamon flavor.
1 stick of butter, cold
cold water.

Dump both cans of apple pie filling into the Dutch oven and place it over the fire to heat. Take 8 pouches of the instant oatmeal, and add cold water to it to make a stiff dough. (you can stretch the dough for a really large DO by adding more pouches of cereal to the dough) Cut small bits of the butter into the dough, and use a wooden spoon to mix it but don't completely melt the butter. Spoon this over the apples in the DO and use the spoon to smooth the dough into a solid layer. Cover and heat with coals on top of the DO for about 40 minutes or until toasted and crusty. Serve.

LD

A friend of mine went to the market fair regularly with a couple of buddies that were vegetarians. He did not make it last year, was too sick. He died a week later.

Townsend savoring the past videos has several vegetarian meals and offers a poor mans period cookbook. I hate to bring
this one up, for fear of my tartan clad ancestors, but just last night I came across s vegan HAGIS. :shocked2:
Can they eat rabbit? I know that sounds silly, and I don't know if this applies to the eastern church. Rabbit was long eaten during western church lent, since bunnies were born with out hair they didn't count as meat but as fish.
Since we just had s thread on 'spear grass' Townsend has s spear grass pie that is s treat from an 18th century cook book.

Fwiw, "an inside joke" in the AmerIndian community is that "vegan" & "vegetarian" is that both are "old Indian words" for "hunts poorly".
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

tenngun said:
Well an oatmeal and onion pudding spiced to taste like a haggis.
Sounded like something beat fit for a haggis toss.
I am a big fan of vegetarian/vegan food if served with meat....

Well Orthodox Lent is pretty heavy...no meat nor fish (shellfish are OK), no oil, no dairy (eggs, butter cheese), no alcohol, so that leaves grains, veggies, and fruit...but really if it wasn't modern times, where would you get fruit or green veggies at this time of year other than dried or pickled?

On the weekend they can have oil and wine.

In the past, they must have eaten a lot of stored root vegetables and cabbage. I guess that explains borscht.

Black Hand said:
I am a big fan of vegetarian/vegan food if served with meat....
I'll eat Vegetarian/vegan any time.....If for no other reason than the experience... I'm always surprised how good something can taste without a dead animal in it.... :haha:

Yes, there is a place for all of God's animals.

I like them next to the potatoes and gravy.

Recent news here in town was a Black Widow spider was found in a carton of grapes.
You never find spiders in a package of bacon.

Nope, they can't eat anything the church considers having "blood" within, so shellfish and squid/octopus is it for critters.

Borscht would work but no sour cream (dairy).

I went to a couple of Orthodox-Fasting websites, as I wanted to be friendly and make them a meal, so was looking for recipes. One site made fun of "Western Lent" not being strict enough, and then recommended ingredients that make a wonderful meal after they've been flown in from the Southern Hemisphere where it's harvest time. :shocked2: I wondered what they say about a Monk's Lent...three quarts of double boch ale per day...that is all.

Then I realized that black beans and rice or curried lentils are just fine, so I didn't need a special recipe. (So is stir fried Tofu, but hey it was going to be a historic setting...., )

A lot of the Vegan "simulated meat" products have egg whites (dairy) so they are out too. I tried some Fakin Bacon.... :barf:

LD

Yes I have a lot of respect as they converted to Orthodoxy in the past year....,

AND they were quite happy to learn that "Greek Easter" falls on the weekend before the fair next year!

PASS ME THE LAMB AND THE SPANAKOPITA!

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back