• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the value of a Collector's FFL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super Pawn here used to sell guns on line for auction. They are based out of here even though they have a few stores in other cities and have the main one with guns here. They also required an FFL to ship even if you bought the guns here. I tried to get them to omit that since I live here but it was a big no. Seems they had allot of lawsuits over guns that were bought from them and then used in crimes. They of coarse prevailed but they tightened the rules to avoid future law suits.

Some auction sellers have a standardized blurb they use in all listings. I buy air guns at auction and they usually waive that requirement. Have had a couple who adamantly required an FFL. I canvassed three local shops and one pawn shop and no one would even send one for a "non firearm" (including ML). If in doubt, ask the seller if they will forego that.

Regarding the OP who says he just ships curios and relics, any who, well, ignorance of the law can land you in more trouble than it's worth.

IMHO, it just isn't very helpful to have one anymore. Surplus is gone.

Also, some of the posts here suggest you can use it to anything post 1899. Not true. A C&R lets you buy 50 year old or older guns. Then you often have a hard time finding a seller willing to sell to you.

It has pretty much been covered. Most of the guns I buy are over 50 years old so it works great for me. At $10 a year it is the best bargain out there.

...you have to keep a record book, and record EVERYTHING......subject to a knock on your door at ANYTIME and they have the right to do a surprise visit, look at everything you have.......

Folks, I'm an LEO, and just so you know, it's perfectly legal AND Constitutional for Law Enforcement to use a legal "pretext" to gain evidence that they normally would not be able to access. :shocked2: It's the same idea that when I see a car that I think might be transporting drugs, all I need to see is a bad taillight, do a traffic stop, and try to develope the probable cause from there.

So.., say a local LEO wants to get into your house for whatever reason..., maybe they got some nosey (anti-gun) neighbor tip that you have some "really big guns". Maybe the tip was you have a machine gun. (Yes this actually happens - most American can't tell a machine gun from a nail gun) So the local LEO starts looking into the situation....If you have that FFL, and that LEO can get a Fed to do a favor, that LEO can Constitutionally "piggy back" with the Fed during your FFL inspection... and what that LEO observes (or thinks he observes) he can use against you.

So all your records are correct, and no illegal guns are found (BTW that inspection includes looking for guns that you have failed to record)...but the local LEO sees something else that appears to be a violation of a county ordinance or state law...say maybe he sees 8 cans of black powder when the law says you can only store five...he doesn't check to see that all eight are empty, and old, and it's just your collection....

Luckily, most of the LEO across the country are pro-gun, and pro-constitution. It's the ones trying to make a "name for themselves" that cause all of the anti-cop reactions around the country...plus the youngsters who are inexperienced and poorly trained who from time to time use way too much force. So if you're in the big city, or in East Nowhere... you could run across a "crusader" either as a local LEO, or a local prosecutor.

Remember the Duke Lacross Team? :shake:

So...unless you really really needed one, I'd advise against it. :nono:

LD

Actually, for a C and R license, the BATFE will notify you in advance of an inspection, and you have the option of the inspection taking place at a venue of your choice. If you want to cart your guns to the nearest BATFE office, they'll do it there. Likewise you can opt for a local law enforcement office, or wherever you keep your guns. Rules for the curio and relics are different than the regular FFL, where they can show up unannounced.

For what it's worth, I've collected WWI rifles and pistols for years, and found the license very useful. Wouldn't have much of a collection if I hadn't had one.
Rod

Latest posts

Back