• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the value of a Collector's FFL?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billnpatti

Cannon
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question but here it is: What is the value of having a Curio and Relic Collector's FFL? I know it allows you to sell, buy and ship in interstate and foreign commerce anything that meets the ATF definition of a curio or relic. I can do that already and I have no FFL license of any kind. Anyone who is not specifically prohibited by law can ship curios and relics through the USPS without having any kind of license. So, what the heck is a Curio and Relic Collectors FFL good for? :idunno: If I were to apply for and receive one, what will I have gotten for my $30?

You can have some modern firearms(modern compared to muzzle loaders) shipped directly to you without going through a dealer. For example a Russian Mosin-nagant fits the criteria. They have a list. Also some dealers like Midway will give a customer discount if they have a copy of your FFL. If it fits the criteria you can also p/u one from a local dealer without paying the Brady tax.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a C&R licence too. For those more modern relics.

I waited too long. By the time I finally got one, I had most the guns I wanted except for the more expensive ones and can't afford them so I never got to use it. One time usually pays for itself.

For a muzzleloader, no value whatsoever. They are non-guns as far as the Federal government is concerned, and as such aren't regulated. For post January 1, 1899 cartridge rifles, pistols, and machine guns, a CR FFL can be very useful.

I have had my regular FFL for over 25 years. One nice benefit is that ability to buy some stuff at wholesale prices.

Fleener

You will spend more money on old stuff......like, sweds, Swiss, Russian, frenchie stuff.......you have to keep a record book, and record EVERYTHING......subject to a knock on your door at ANYTIME and they have the right to do a surprise visit, look at everything you have....... :(

IMHO :shake:

I also belong to a Surplus Rifle site and many on there have C&R licenses, including myself. They are wonderful if you are into collecting vintage military weapons. From all the feedback I have seen, not many folks have ever been audited. ATF is concentrating more on FFL01s. As far a record keeping, log books are available from Amazon, record keeping is pretty minimal. One must remember this is a COLLECTING license, not a selling license, sales should always be keep to a minimum.

The supply of surplus weaponry is diminishing rapidly due, in part, to some import bans but mostly because most of the sources for these firearms have been tapped out. C & R licenses, in some areas, are not so easy to obtain since local law enforcement has to endorse your application. For me it would be useless and even if the knock on the door never comes it is always possible. I am not up to anything but do not want to be on anyone's radar any way.

I am not exactly sure how local law enforcement has to endorse your application. When I applied, I had to send a copy of my application to the LEO and to ATF. After about 6 weeks my license appeared. I can understand a concern about being under the radar though.

garra said:
I am not exactly sure how local law enforcement has to endorse your application. When I applied, I had to send a copy of my application to the LEO and to ATF. After about 6 weeks my license appeared. I can understand a concern about being under the radar though.

They don't have to indorse it, they just need to be notified in case there is a problem or in case you are not legal to have one.

I live in a town of about 100,000 and when I sent the required paperwork to the chief of police he called me and asked why I sent it! I 'splained it to him and he says"Oh!".

no way I'm the first in town to get a C&R, But apparently the first to comply.

kaintuck said:
You will spend more money on old stuff......like, sweds, Swiss, Russian, frenchie stuff.......you have to keep a record book, and record EVERYTHING......subject to a knock on your door at ANYTIME and they have the right to do a surprise visit, look at everything you have....... :(

IMHO :shake:

Not real wild about that idea. :cursing:

If you plan on doing a lot of GB and GA business, it makes sense. Otherwise, no.

I found that most of the modern C&R's I was getting came from the CMP, which doesn't need a C&R to ship to you direct (they have a Congressional exemption). So I let mine lapse.

Unlike an 01 FFL, once an 03 lapses, you do not need to preserve your bound book.

I let my 01FFL lapse when the BATF raised the renewal fee from $30 to $300 way back when.

They required me to send my bound book and all 4473s to them. Lucky for me I made copies of everything because for the next 5 years, I kept getting letters from them about sending them in and one letter asked about someone who I had never heard of who they claimed was on my FFL...

Never again will I deal with them.

IF your interest is EXCLUSIVELY ML, a C&R is nearly worthless.

Otoh, IF you collect post 1898 firearms, a C&R is well worth having.

just my opinion, satx

Nope do not deal with any of the governments agencys about any thing more than absolutely necessary. 20 years in uncle Sam's adventure club was enough. IRS and the VA is about all I can stomach.As I can't really stomach the IRS

I have run into a few characters that sell muzzleloaders on GB that require an FFL 01 or 03 to transfer a purchase. Even though the law doesn't require it, they seem to make up their own rules. Seems to me that auction sites should require all participants to follow the law, not what a seller's whim is.

Latest posts

Back