• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's the best to use.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rifle with a thin front sight blade that was filed down. I think that it is brass. The rifle shoots extremely high. I want to affix a piece if iron to the top of the sight to lower the impact of the bullet. I've worked a lot with wood but I'm pretty ignorant of the ways of metal. What would be the most appropriate material to affix the metal to the top of the sight to lower the bullet strike.. It would have to be somewhat robust as there will be some filing to do.
Appreciate any ideas.

I make both sights because it's very enjoyable and my sights are very sturdy. The front sight blade is made from .100 thick steel w/ a sterling silver insert soldered in. The face of the insert is angled for better light gathering. Both sights are browned. Shown below is a front sight. .....Fred
P1010002.JPG
P1010004.JPG

At first thought a front blade that's .100 thick might not be accurate, but looking at it down a 42"-46" bbl makes it look thinner. The pic shows it on my squirrel rifle.....Fred
P1010013.JPG

Hi,
Can you post a picture of the gun and sight?. Replacing a front sight is not a complicated task. All you need is a hammer, punch, and possibly a triangular file. If you shrink from making a sight, companies like Track of the Wolf sell many kinds with standard dovetailed bases that can be made to fit. I have friends who piled JB weld on top of their sights or soldered a piece of metal. They did the job but look like manure and rarely result in a precise sight picture.

dave

This rifle has a groove and the sight sits in the groove. I don't know how deep it is. Wonder if I can remove the sight by heating it with an electric soldering iron. Like I said I don't do metal often, once every ten years or so and I don't really know how much heat the barrel can tolerate with out trouble from a soldering iron. Plus my arthritis doesn't help me holding small items.

This is not a dove tailed sight, it is standing in a vertical groove and soldered in place. Not a side to side dovetail. If it was just in a dovetail I'd have no problem, just get a newer higher sight with a dovetail fit base. This one is going to have to be taken off with heat, and replaced with heat. It's the amount of heat that I don't know about.

I have made front sights higher by using brass shim stock.Most old time hardware stores have it. You can cut it heavy shears. I cut a piece and "fold" it over the sight and solder it to the sight, the solder will fill any gaps and then file it to desired height and thickness.

I buy brass strips from my local hardware store , it has a small model making section with balsa wood etc and a small display of brass rods , tubes and strips , all sorts of stuff crammed into 2 square feet , it is very handy for me . I'm sure hardware stores in the USA would have something like that .

I think I'm going to try and find some brass strips somewhere and go from there if the soldering iron won't generate enough heat to damage the barrel.

Back