• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's in your range box?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use range visits to "edit" my shooting bag. I want everything needed for a day of shooting in there, along with very basic tools in case I have problems. I go so far as to avoid using the loading bench at the range, even to lay stuff on between shots. If something is missing, I know it right away and add it. If something is extra and always in the way, I learn that too and I get rid of it. I will carry a haversack for long days with lots of shooting to hold extra balls, patches and powder. But I use that to refill the shooting bag any time things run low.

Having said all that, I do have a range box. It's more of a tool box, and the stuff in there is the same stuff I carry for work on modern guns. It stays in the truck unless I get in trouble and need something more than what's in my shooting bag. Not convenient, but certainly better than a drive back home.

Mercier said:
Mr Stumpkiller,

Where did you get that knife? Did you make your turn screws?

Thank you

Pat

Mr. Stumpkiller. Wow!

The knife is a 25 year old +/- A.G Russell bone handled "Arkansas Toothpick" with a Walker lock in ATS-34 steel. Not at all period correct, but I love it and it has field dressed a few deer and filleted a few perch. It's kind of a place-holder for an old "penny knife". Great patch knife as well.

The turnscrew and vent pick (with stop) were forged by Jon Donelson and came with my rifle. He made me a bore sized tow worm as well. Note the larger has a little right angle nick that works to shape the flint edge in the jaws.

Turkey Foot Trading has a similar one.
http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/Trekking.html

The "L" shaped one is a Colt 1911 tool as issued in WWI. I picked it up at a gunshow and it has some sentimental value. If you have a drilled top-screw it's the bee's knees for tightening in flints. Also works to drift out pins. And knap flints. I like minimal and multi-purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solitary Cyclist said:
On top of everything else that's mentioned here I take a packet of plasters, 2 of the small one-shot eye-wash bottles and a roll of toilet paper!

A seemlingly odd assortment. I don't question your need for them because obviously they have their purpose or you wouldn't be taking them. I guess things are just different in the U.K. :grin: :thumbsup:

I shoot matchlock pistol and in a recent competition, whilst blowing on my match cord a small 'ember' flew up under my shooting glasses and ended up in my eye (sods law I think it's called?)
Luckily it wasn't hot just irritating. The club first-aid kit didn't contain eye-wash and I had to put up with a dry eye for the remainder of the comp'. Ever since then I have carried the 2 little bottles and hopefully will never need them. The plasters are something else that have only been used to hold a Walker loading lever up and the loo roll, well, some things in life just can't be substituted!!

Mean Gene said:
Haven't you ever been caught at the range with no TP?..... smart! :doh:

Fortunately, not yet and I have been shooting for many years. However, I have found a bit of TP (or "loo roll"):) to be VERY handy in the woods. I think his term "plasters" is what we Americans would call Bandaids and they are a very good idea. I have never seen the single use eye wash but it might be a good idea. I always use safety glasses when shooting and have never gotten anything in my eyes.

Actually my comment was a bit of an elbow nudge to the ribs in jest not because his choice of items to carry to the range was a bad idea but because they were a bit different from what most of us think to carry. Perhaps a tip of the hat would have been more appropriate. :hatsoff: I hope our buddy, solitary cyclist, saw the humor in my friendly jest.
:grin:

Single use eye drops are available in most pharmacy, grocery, walmart etc. They usually come with multiples in the box. Those of us who are older and have a problem with dry eyes are pretty familiar with them. I hadn't thought of putting them in my range box, but usually carry them when hunting and almost always have a several in my truck for when I am outside on dry, windy days. The eye drops come in a little plastic vial that has a twist off top.

Mean Gene said:
Actually this made me think having a small first aid kit in there would be a smart idea, I'll have to put one together.

Yep, I totally agree. It's a great idea. Like bpd303, I have cut my finger on a flint more than once while wiping the pan. I do have a small first aid kit and it is going into my big range box. I'll keep my box that I take to bench minimal and go to my car to get any first aid that I need. But that first aid kit is definitely going into my big range box...and I won't forget the "loo roll" either.

Thanks to solitary cyclist and everyone else who contributed to this great idea.

Huh....

Never thought of putting a first aid kit in my shooting bag. But that's cuzz I always have one in my field coat. And that's always with me whether I'm using muzzleloaders or not.

But a great idea to put one in your shooting bag if you're not already in the habit of carrying one.

One addition to the kit. If anyone is on blood thinners, include small and large clotting sponges. Stabbed myself in the forearm last year (don't ask) and caught a vein. Real happy I had a clotting sponge in my pocket kit- even if I put it in there for my wife!

Added to what has already been mentioned is a small squeeze bottle of hand soap/sanitizer. Between arthritic fingers and black powder residue I can manage to get my hands messy in no time. Add diabetes to the already mentioned blood thinner makes a small first aid kit a good idea.

Mean Gene said:
Haven't you ever been caught at the range with no TP?..... smart! :doh:

Isn't that why you carry extra patch material?

Its re-useable when your done using it as TP, just put it in back in the box as pre-lubed. :wink:

Other than my roll of patch material, for cutting patches at the muzzle, I cannot think of HC first aid.

We do carry a US Army first aid kit with band-aids and trauma bandages in the event of a gunshot wound. It has some other things in their too. One kit has an H & H Bandage, the other an Israeli Bandage. These are the old kits for the ALICE gear, the plastic box with the nylon pouch that often was attached to a soldiers web gear.

Hadn't seen this mentioned. HP yes hydrogen Peroxide I carry a bottle to clean my hands after shooting. Just use it to wash your hands and wipe them dry with a rag. Takes care of any small cuts and keeps you cars steering wheel from getting sticky. Handy stuff just keep it off your guns metal. Fox

Back