• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what's everyone building??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished a Bucks County w/ a 44" bbl and the first Bucks County w/ the elongated tail on the entry pipe. Presently working on a Chambers' Early Lancaster and am making a duplicate from a blank w/ all Chambers' parts. Have done this before and it works out well. There's a Rupp Lehigh after this and have most of the parts but am presently researching so it'll be "right". By the way....how many hours per day, in a week or month do you builders put in? I only work in the AM and am fortunate to spend approx. 2-3 hrs just about every day in such an enjoyable pursuit......Fred

Currently building a Tennessee Mtn rifle. Then finish a York I set aside to build the Tn rifle, then have scheduled a .40 cal. youth I.Haines, then a .40 cal. Bedford rifle, then 2 Haines rifles, one in .40 cal & one in .54 cal. And hopefully after that I can get back to work on the Jaeger I am building for me that I cannot seem to get time to build on. Unfortunately work keeps getting in the way of my hobbies ! :cursing:

Working on a .45 Rupp style, all silver trim, just finishing up the patchbox now and it's a challenge. Gotta inlet the lock next. This is my second and I'm already getting pretty excited to see how it's going to turn out, problem is that it's such a different Rupp it's been hard to find pics of the carving on it to know where to start, but finally found pics of 2 like it the other night.

Currently on the road for a week and making a pouch for an early fowling gun. When I return, I have a Mike Brooks English fowler kit with brass mountings waiting for me in English walnut.

The stock is very nice with the forestock left square for ease of constuction. The butt is partial inlet for the Chambers fowler plate and the barrel and ramrod channel done. Mike has the stock profile with perfect lines and it's comb is high enough to be able to wingshoot with it.

I have the barrel seated and all the hardware from Chambers is in. I now just need time to get it started.

A Peter Berry .50 B weight barrel from a kit from Jim Klein. A joy to build. Really delicate. 42 inch barrel but will weigh about 6.5 lbs!!

Jim's Kits are terrific.

Does planning stage count?
Next is my Franken-gun. An 1790's Dickert that survived a burst muzzle and a conversion to percussion. The drawings so far make for a pretty cool looking plains rifle!

Working on a rifle kit from TOW (Beck). Got the barrel inletted, buttplate fitted, and am working on the lock.

I may be overly ambitious but I've got 4 projects going at once. I'm finnishing up a T/C hawken restock from pecatonica river for my self, and I've got all the furniture & a stock for my fussil-de-chasse(waiting for income tax money to buy the lock & barrel). but the best of all - last nite I bandsawed out 2 stocks, one a left handed full stock percusion for my nephew, the other will be a little halfstock for his 4 year old daughter, both from the same plank!

wow..
keep them coming. I know there are more builders that are members :wink: yes, planning the next one counts :thumbsup:
I like to work a couple of hours a day.. after my JOB :cursing: on my hobby/obsestion.
After the next pistol. It's going to be a percussion southern Poorboy. my first percussion rifle.

Today I was workin on a "switch-a-roo". A switch-a-roo is based on a Lyman GP stock. It is modifyed so it can change from flint to percussion and back again, that partis easy.Then a extra set of escutchions is added and a relief is made where the underib enters the stock so the stock will take 15/16s TC Hawken and Invest Arms barrels. I keep thinking why am I doing this, I dont know, a couple of guys at the club have them, I guess it is monkey see monkey do.

My 'list' is as follows:
1.Restocking an old Navy Arms 2nd Model Bess with a very nice walnut semi-inlet replacement stock from Dunlap...
2. A circa 1760 Northampton Co longrifle...I have the Douglas .54 cal barrel, Davis early Germanic lock and hardware but still need to find an appropriate pc. of maple for the stock...
3. Circa 1790 Moll pistol...have the stock, barrel @ some of the hardware accumulated...
4.Either a Jim Chambers PA smooth rifle or Marshall rifle kit but still have not decided...
5. As time permits, rehabbing an old Numrich Minuteman rifle, so it does not look so much like a Minuteman. About all I will salvage from the original is the stock & barrel...
All the above will be back on track upon completeing the restoration of my brother in law's vintage Parker 12ga. VH...(Oopps, sorry a modern gun slipped in here...)
I work in the sales field so I'm often on the road for several days to a week at a time and this can really crimp my plans. When working form my home office, I usually end up getting in 2-4 hrs work per night, about 5 days a week on my 'obsession'....Wish it could be more like 8 hrs a day!

Okay were in the planning and ordering parts stage now on a CVA Tennessee long rifle. Yes I know they did not make them but I am. :thumbsup:
Using the CVA Kentucky barrel 33 1/2 ", nose cap, butt plate and lock with some screws
Ordered trigger guard, side plate, and toe plate in brass for a Tennessee rifle.
Now I need to get the stock. I have found one but have to wait tell Monday morning to call and order it. Would like to may be do some carving on it but just do not know yet.
.will be posting pics from start after I have all parts and updating as I go along because I want help and input on this build then I will add up and let know the price of build but shooting for under 2 hundred right now the lower the better :wink:

Working on a southern mt. rifle.

40 cal Green Mt barrel 7/8 by 42 long.

Hand made Ash stock.

Left handed flint I made using a Chamber’s builder’s kit.

Made my own butt plate, trigger guard, ramrod pipes

Haven’t decided if I want a patch box or nose cap. may just go with a grease hole and a
snobble fore end.

1765 or so Southern rifle using "recycled" parts, stock from a blank. 44" .54 Rice barrel, Chambers Virginia lock.

Admittedly, most of the real work I have done over the last couple months has actually been making tools - a bowsaw to finish profiling the stock, and a small plane.

i am currently building a 62cal smoothbore and another early tenn.rifle and i am trying to finish up a lancaster style rifle with a fancy patch box and some relief carving.i also have a dbl.barrel perc.shot gun i am restocking and going to redo all the hardware....i think thats all.

Capt. Jas. said:
Currently on the road for a week and making a pouch for an early fowling gun. When I return, I have a Mike Brooks English fowler kit with brass mountings waiting for me in English walnut.

The stock is very nice with the forestock left square for ease of constuction. The butt is partial inlet for the Chambers fowler plate and the barrel and ramrod channel done. Mike has the stock profile with perfect lines and it's comb is high enough to be able to wingshoot with it.

I have the barrel seated and all the hardware from Chambers is in. I now just need time to get it started.
Keep me updated James. You're the first to build one of these, I won't have a chance to do one for a while. I think it should go together pretty well.

I'm building a Haines 54 cal 38" c weight swamped with steel furniture. The stock is from a black walnut tree that the neighbor had sawn about two years ago. I'm making this one from scratch. Barrel is inletted, ramrod hole complete,attached butt plate,started to slim her down. This is my 50th birthday present from my wife, now she's asking what I should build her. I completed her a 45cal 31 inch black walnut percussion about 6 months ago,Darn if she didn"t beat me at the range in front of the boys. As they were laffin I reminded them that she beat everyone in the club but the top 10 guys!! OH, what fun it is to see her shoot!!
Trapper

Working on a TOW fullstock Leman .58 x 1" x 36" GM barrel and Siler perc Mountain rifle lock, all furniture is steel and I will brown everything. Haven't decided whether to go with the double set Davis triggers or the more "PC" single trigger (I bought both).

I'm currently waiting on a S. Hawken kit from Don Stith. .54 LH 1" tapered bbl. custom Bob roller lock and triggers. Just set up a new woodworking bench and sharpened up my inletting chisels! can't wait! :wink:

Back