• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What we need to shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter got me a small copper pot for Christmas. I just finished up sewing a new shirt, and am sewwing up a pair of saddle bags to use to carry my stuff to camp instead of pack baskets. My kit has shirts, coats, trousers, shoes, tin and now copper cooking gear, pipes tobbaco pouchs, fire steels, sewing kits ict. Then bag of chargers ball wad or patch stuff and wiping gear. How much equipment does it take to run ball down a bore?

Maybe it's not so much running the ball down the bore, but how comfortable do you want to be while doing it?

:haha: :rotf: :v

tenngun said:
How much equipment does it take to run ball down a bore?
It sounds like you're describing "camping", then asking about "shooting". Two different endeavors.

The trick is to partner up with some boy scout that brings everything. Then you just carry your firearm. :idunno:

Don't believe me? Ask my wife what she need to bring hunting :rotf:

Jack Wilson said:
tenngun said:
How much equipment does it take to run ball down a bore?
It sounds like you're describing "camping", then asking about "shooting". Two different endeavors.
I got my first rifle a flask a 'charger'... Powder measure... Had to buy a horn then a bag, then a cleaning rod and so on and so on.had to be able to make camp when I shot. Had to have the right clothing, had to replace the clothing the horn and bag with more h c stuff and so on and so on, all because ol shinny balls and stinky powder and guns that were a lot more fun the. Any thing I had shot before... Or since. :wink:

Not much. However it be a different story if ya dryball. Of course none of us have ever done that before. HeHe.

It takes a short starter to start the patched ball in a tight bore fit situation. A very few guns nowadays have a "coned" barrel wher the rifling was removed from the first inch or so from the muzzle. That allowed the whole ball to be inserted into the bore.
The use your ramrod to push the ball down to the powder charge. Put the same amount of pushing pressure on the powder every time. Nobody carried a ball starter in the period we are supposed to be imitating. They used their thumb. If you have a small caliber rifle and a small diameter ramrod and a tight patch run the ball down with short strokes. Leaving a lot of rod outside of the barrel for a hard push can break your rod and injure your hand and end your day of shooting.

Latest posts

Back