• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What trigger to use?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have both flint and percussion CVA Kentucky 45 cal rifles that I am getting ready to re stock into maple blanks. Both will get LR Manton locks and I want to also upgrade the triggers. Looking for recommendations on what trigger would be most appropriate for a 1820’s style short barreled full stock rifle? I may also need a recommendation on a new guard to go with the new triggers.

I have both flint and percussion CVA Kentucky 45 cal rifles that I am getting ready to re stock into maple blanks. Both will get LR Manton locks and I want to also upgrade the triggers. Looking for recommendations on what trigger would be most appropriate for a 1820’s style short barreled full stock rifle? I may also need a recommendation on a new guard to go with the new triggers.
I’m not a fan of set triggers. A properly set up single trigger with a high pivot point and the trigger pivot around 3/8 to 1/2 of a inch in front of the sear arm will yield a sub 3 lb pull with minimal adjustment. Not to mention in my opinion be safer than a set trigger. BJH

I like double set on a rifle. Will they fit in your guard ? A well set single trigger works well. Another option is a single set. I find single sets ‘unnatural’ to use as in just inconvenient.
a good l&R or Davis in a Pennsylvanian style with a trigger plate about four inches long. A Long Hawken or Tennessee style is probably not needed in your gun.

I am leaning more towards a single trigger. Is there a specific type that would be more accurate for a transitional period rifle? (straight, curved or curled)..I am using the Manton locks because they would be of the Time period when percussion came around, 1820-1830’s. (I think).

A simple trigger is easy to build, I just never cottoned to set triggers. But, I don't do a lot of target shooting either. To change a trigger pull on a single trigger just move the fulcrum point.

Back