• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to use to keep bugs away from horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the subject of carpet beetles and their diet for animal products. Does anyone think they'd go after wool felt hats as well? It was mentioned that carpet beetles do not like being disturbed. Thats sort of what I meant by "human activity". It does seem any damage done to my horn was when it was temporarily put away in a dark bottom drawer. Frequent use seems to deter the little buggers. Oh and I may be wrong on this one but wasn't borax used in taxidermy?

The short answer is Yes, something (pest, bug, critter) will eat a felt Stetson Hat.... please don't ask how I know.

On the subject of carpet beetles and their diet for animal products. Does anyone think they'd go after wool felt hats as well? It was mentioned that carpet beetles do not like being disturbed. Thats sort of what I meant by "human activity". It does seem any damage done to my horn was when it was temporarily put away in a dark bottom drawer. Frequent use seems to deter the little buggers. Oh and I may be wrong on this one but wasn't borax used in taxidermy?

You are correct, I used to dabble in taxidermy.

Skimmed this and went to the last page, how about putting horns in Baggies? No need for chemicals and that way the horn does not stink.

Skimmed this and went to the last page, how about putting horns in Baggies? No need for chemicals and that way the horn does not stink.
Not trying to give you or the other member who posted about baggies grief, just a thought that comes to mind.
Do we really want another excuse for more plastic? Too much plastic in the world, especially baggies. Part of the beauty and charm of what we do is the lack of plastic. All our stuff is essentially wood, leather, metal (which does come from the earth), antler, horn, bone, river cane,,,,,,
Somehow introducing the overpopulated plastic baggie to this seems wrong, at least to me.

We all get to use what we wish to store things.

Guess you use paper in your trash can to put your house hold garbage in.

Thanks.

For a muzzleloader and it's accessories, since it is kind of more conforming to nature, might as well use what nature provides!

Was that the one in Omaha? It was such a long time ago I done forgot the name. Anyway I dabbled in it too.

Yes, that's the one. I think back to all the chemicals that I use to order from them coming through the mail. Can't do that anymore.

DSCN0023 (2).JPG

Recently found the cancelled check for the tuition. Dad was a packrat and kept stuff like that. Looks like you were more into it than I was. I dont think I ever got a diploma, maybe my brother got it.

Latest posts

Back